Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to set up a new email account? Is this basically the same thing as an alias?

I am being directed to set up an alias. When I've tried to set up a new account, it comes up as Mobile Me, and asks for information I do not have. I am frustrated by the lack of support with Apple these days. This should be a simple matter answered on the phone, and the searches are unclear. No longer the intuitive machine...

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:23 AM

1 reply

Jan 7, 2013 2:49 PM in response to ShinYuu

What (or who) is directing you to set up an alias? Somebody else that's trying to explain how to configure mail addresses, per your other recent question? (I've posted a response over there, too.)

New account entries are a reference to the SMTP mail server and to the associated the POP or IMAP server, the credentials and the ports involved for the SMTP and POP/IMAP servers.

If you want to send messages from multiple addresses (and selecting a "from" address in the message compose window), you can do that by creating a comma-separated list of email address in the email address field. Mail > Preferences > Accounts (for each account you have) > Email address > {insert a comma-separated list of email addresses you want to send from, when you compose messages}

Apple has available a tour of the OS X interface, if you're interested. There are also various third-party books available, if that's how you prefer to learn. Apple also has some training available at their various Apple stores, though that seems to vary by location.

Is it possible to set up a new email account? Is this basically the same thing as an alias?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.