Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't wake MBP, must power off/on each time. Help please?

I Can't wake my Mac Book Pro 17' 2009 out of sleep mode after installing Mountain Lion. Have to power off then power back on each time. Machine runs like crazy but only for a dark screen. It won't turn off easily using on/off button, either. Once the screensaver has run it's time the screen goes dark. I've tried the usual modes of putting it to sleep, even logging off, but nothing works. It surely doesn't sound like it's sleeping either, more like it's going to die from exhaustion. Can anyone help, please?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 17in. 2.66 GHz

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:14 AM

3 replies

Jan 7, 2013 4:37 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root, Thank you, Thank you! I believe your suggestion of resetting the PRAM and/or SMC resolved the problem. I reset the PRAM, then went through the pre-reset steps for the SMC reset. Now my MBP is waking from either the touch of a key or by opening the lid, just as it should do. Whew. I certainly did a lot of reading and really appreciate knowing a little more. The PRAM and SMC are significant contributors to a computer's memory, in so many different facets. I printed Apple's definition and functionality of both of them. Sometimes it's harder to see the bigger picture (there were several functions that weren't working properly), when you are focused on one glaring problem, like not being able to wake your MBP with the touch of any key. This site is really great, I'll surely use it going forward. It's a nice option to running down to the Apple store. Thank You again!

Can't wake MBP, must power off/on each time. Help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.