Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail font size too small for father

My father just purchased a iMac with Mountain Lion OS and a 27 inch screen.

My father needs to be able to read the text of the AppleMail window.

We have increased the size of the fonts to 18 to make it easy for him to see what he is typing in the email editing window, however, none of the other display fonts in AppleMail increase.

The increase in font size is intended by Apple to provide an Accomodation to provide Equal Access for those with Sight Disabilities to the Essential Functions of use, however, this intent appears to have failed within AppleMail.

Would a different mail reader (gmail, etc) provide this font sizing ability?

Requested Remedy:

Provide the ability to increase font size for all of the AppleMail display.

iMac

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:02 AM

16 replies

Mar 12, 2017 5:11 PM in response to thwaite

This command still works with MacOS Sierra (10.12.3) and the sidebar fix, Thank you!

For other size adjustments, the complete computer & desktop font etc, you can change the display settings to "Scaled" to be larger. Then, if you want to alter the desktop, go to the "Finder/View/Show view options" gives adjustments to the desktop icons to a smaller (if you want) sizes.

Jan 7, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Lexiepex

'Preferences' doesn't solve the problem, since it only alters the font size of text for a single message, and doesn't alter the Mailbox Pane or Message Panes.

The Mailbox Pane is enlarged outside Mail, using the System Preference's 'General' setting for Sidebar Icon size - this also alters sidebar text size.

And the Message List is enlarged most easily by a Terminal command

- it's only a single line, cut'n'paste:

defaults write com.apple.mail RichMessageList -bool FALSE

Then restart Mail and adjust its column sizes for the newly enlarged fonts.

This thread gives a full discussion of this solution and its clumsier alternatives:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194217?start=60&tstart=0

Feb 16, 2013 12:52 AM in response to ninoupte7

I assume to undo this I do the same command but TRUE ?

Because while the text in the list is finally big enough to read, it makes the entire app useless because it changes the entire format and structure into something I hate. No more message previews, and meaningless data stringing off endlessly to the right.

What I want to know is why on Earth Apple releases a mail App where setting the font sizes has zero effect?

In any case, I sure hope that the same command but "FALSE" undoes this, because I could BARELY use Mail before because the fonts are microscopic. With this terminal command, I can't use it at ALL.

Apple is not known for poor UI design. GET THIS FIXED!!!

Sep 21, 2013 10:59 PM in response to pickacardanycard

Go to Mail Preferences, select Viewing, then Use Classic Layout. Go back to Fonts & Colors. Select your font size preference. Exit Preferences. Quit Mail. Then re-launch. Alternatively, Apple has improved the Zoom feature. You can go to Accessibility in System Preferences and specify "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom." However, please note that zoom will cause the text to look blurred, so that increasing font size in Classic Layout works much better for those of us with visual impairments.

Sep 22, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Tom in London

Tom, I can tell you that if you have a 26" monitor set in 1080p, then sitting the 'correct' height and distance from the monitor makes it almost impossible for my nearly perfect 40 year old eyes to read the message list fonts in the non-classic mode. It's not up to Apple to tell us how we will view our apps and like it or lump it, that's the way Micro$not operates.

Oct 5, 2013 4:30 PM in response to ninoupte7

Lacking a simple magnify function like "cmd +" in OSX Mail has puzzled me ever since. I wonder if Apple staff really uses Mail. The readability is compared to Apple standards a real mess. Waiting for an update since Lion for this. Command +, like in a browser, it is so simple. What is the problem?

Jan 10, 2014 1:52 PM in response to ninoupte7

The simple solution is to scale your screen resolution down to 1344x840. It will increase all font sizes in all functions. Just go to system preferences>display and select scaled and select downward until the size is right. The mail font selections will on affect the message list in the classic display mode. If you really need sharper resolution for an application you can always change it and then go back for daily use.

Apple Mail font size too small for father

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.