Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport/Airport Extreme connectivity

I've decided to buy an old iMac G4 to use as a music jukebox (and because they look SO good)

But the unit doesn't have an Airport/Airport Extreme card, as far as I can tell (the current owner has been less and less helpful since we agreed a sale - what a surprise!!) so I've been looking on eBay to buy one for it

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I don't this will be (apart from myiPod) be my first Apple and if I buy an Airport/Airport Extreme card will I be able to connect to my cable providers Wifi router or do I need something else (Airport Extreme Base Station?)

Please help it is appreciated 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 10:55 AM

A Mac equipped with an Airport card can connect to any standard wireless router. We have an Airport Ext base station plus a combo modem/wireless router we got when we upgraded our cable service. Our wireless Macs connect to either just fine.

There are typically two issues that people with G4 iMacs encounter in the wireless field

1) Which Airport card?

2) Finding one.

The first will require the seller turning on the computer and running a utility that's already on the hard drive to see exactly what version iMac it is. The model number doesn't help. There is a utility named "System Profiler" inside the "Utilities" folder under "Applications." When launched, Profiler's first screen will show the iMac model as a code. It will be "PowerMac" followed by a pair of numbers separated by a comma. The code PowerMac6,1 is the oldest G4 iMac that used the Airport Extreme card.

If you give us a rough Idea of where you are, we may be able to help you locate a card or some other wireless option.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2013 10:55 AM in response to wizrad of drivel

A Mac equipped with an Airport card can connect to any standard wireless router. We have an Airport Ext base station plus a combo modem/wireless router we got when we upgraded our cable service. Our wireless Macs connect to either just fine.

There are typically two issues that people with G4 iMacs encounter in the wireless field

1) Which Airport card?

2) Finding one.

The first will require the seller turning on the computer and running a utility that's already on the hard drive to see exactly what version iMac it is. The model number doesn't help. There is a utility named "System Profiler" inside the "Utilities" folder under "Applications." When launched, Profiler's first screen will show the iMac model as a code. It will be "PowerMac" followed by a pair of numbers separated by a comma. The code PowerMac6,1 is the oldest G4 iMac that used the Airport Extreme card.

If you give us a rough Idea of where you are, we may be able to help you locate a card or some other wireless option.

Airport/Airport Extreme connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.