5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 6:50 AM by Louise Cote
Louise Cote Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

I'm finally getting the hang of iCal, it's clunky compared to the Palm Treo calendar.  I entered a bunch of birthdays to my Contacts, and every birthday posts twice to my iPhone.  One has the birthday gift icon, and the other as just a generic dot. Neither can be deleted.  Any help will be appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2
  • Louise Cote Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

Aww c/mon, someone must have the answer to this problem!  There are too many people looking, and I'm assuming they have the same issue.  It's as anoying as heck, and on my iPhone; the desktop iCal shows each b-day once.

• Roger Lier1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

I was having this problem also (although I am not sure I had a generic dot). I discovered that somehow my Contacts app had duplicated my Contacts when I got a new iPhone, and in so doing, posted two birthday items for each contact that had a birthday in it. When I deleted one of the contacts, one of the birthday items on the caledar was also deleted. Until I deleted the duplicate contact in the Contacts app, I was unable to delete the duplicate birthday on the calendar.

Only one b-day has the 'gift icon' before it; the other has a grey dot, and when I click on it I get the stats - whose b-day, the day and date, "All day", and "repeats yearly". It indicates Calendar is Birthdays, and give a URL that starts with "addressbook://..." then an alpha-numeric designation.

When I tough the b-day with the gift icon I get that person's info from Contacts. 

• Roger Lier1 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

How many Accounts do you have in iCal. (Accounts are listed in iCal > Preferences). I was having trouble with my calendar doubling appointments, which an Apple Genius traced to my having multiple accounts for my caldendar. Now both my calendar and address book sync to iCloud.

I have multiple (9) calendars, but I'm surprised I have NO accounts!  Since the problem is on my iPhone, I wondered if I had multiple accounts there, and I don't. This is a puzzler!