Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it permissible to offer free IOS apps backed by paid subscription services?

Hello,

I was wondering if it's permissible according to Apple's guidelines and standards to offer free IOS apps that interact with online services that are paid for outside of the Apple ecosystem. Apps for Netflix and Dropbox, to name a few, seem to suggest this is perfectly reasonable. I was hoping that someone could point me towards the appropriate standard or guideline that spells this out expliclty.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 10:49 AM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2013 5:36 PM in response to mikeydavison

I must apologize for my reply. Somehow I read that you were looking to use a 3rd party advertising platform. I don't know where that came from.

You can certainly connect to a non-Apple, paid service. What trips people up is that you can't have a link to sign up for said paid service. If users are able to sign up directly in the app, they must do it through the App Store. It is a very good idea to have a native login to said service as well. If you use WebKit then the website could display a "sign up now" button that would get your app rejected.

All of the details are in the guidelines and developer agreement. You need a developer account to see them but people have posted then all over the Internet. In the developers site, they are listed right up at the top.

Is it permissible to offer free IOS apps backed by paid subscription services?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.