Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete duplicate emails in Mail 6.2?

I imported emails from thunderbird, realising I have hundreds of duplicates. Have you any idea how to remove duplicates in Mail 6.2? I tried Mail Scripts but they are not working with Mac OS 10.8.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:39 AM

12 replies

Jan 9, 2013 3:48 AM in response to MattHH82

Are the duplicates in the same directory? One way to do this would be to use a UNIX shell script, which could compare each of the email files, identify duplicates and delete them.

If you are feeling adventurous, there is a thread in a forum (http://forums.devshed.com/unix-help-35/bash-script-to-find-and-get-rid-of-duplic ate-files-184849.html) that has a pretty interesting looking script at the end. It does and md5 sum on each file (which should always be the same for identical emails), and then deletes the second file. (Actually the deleteing bit is commented out, it just prints what it would do if you remove the '#' before the "rm".

The principle looks good - but I cannot vouch for it at all!

Cheers,

Rodney

p.s. PLEASE back up before trying anything.

Jan 11, 2013 3:53 PM in response to MattHH82

Using POP email is a isn't good with emails. All POP does is deliver the email to you and your devices that are signed in and that's it. So once you read and delete an email on one device, the other device still; has it as new. IMAP however stores messages on the server and once you read a message on one device, it checks with the server and updates it everywhere else. So in short you really should go with IMAP for ease of use.

Apr 10, 2013 5:41 PM in response to MattHH82

Hi Matt,

I have also had issues with duplicate e-mails collected over the years, I found that the best solution (for me at least) was to set up Thunderbird as an IMAP client and then use the Add-On duplicate e-mail finder. This seems to work really well and will also find duplicates across several folders if you search from the root folder.

Once you've filtered the e-mails from the server, you can either uninstall Thurderbird and go back to Mail, or leave Thunderbird for when you need to filter again. I would also agree with XENiCraft about not using POP, I keep copies of the IMAP folders on my local machine for when I don't have full internet connection.

Hope this helps

Glenn

Jul 6, 2013 9:42 AM in response to MattHH82

This is a slightly old post but having read it I was wondering, was your duplicate problem caused by Thunderbird; Mail or something else.

I am considering moving away from Mail to Thunderbird. I had problems with Mail-Act-On creating duplicate e-mails and not sending them to the correct folder.

As for IMAP, not all of my email providers support IMAP. For example O2, who for a time were the sole supplier for iPhones in the UK. Apple obviously didn't care whether O2 supported IMAP. I don't have an iPhone myself but I do have an iPod Touch.

How do I delete duplicate emails in Mail 6.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.