Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody out there know why I recorded a song on garageband. Then one day I opened it up and it only plays in the left signal volume output.? What didi I do and does anyone know how to render this. It has not happened to any of my other saved projects?

Anybody out there know why I recorded a song on garageband. Then one day I opened it up and it only plays in the left signal volume output.? What didi I do and does anyone know how to render this. It has not happened to any of my other saved projects?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:51 PM

8 replies

Jan 8, 2013 9:20 AM in response to arifromnyc

arifromnyc wrote:

Anybody out there know why I recorded a song on garageband.

probably because it's such easy to use software 😉

arifromnyc wrote:

one day I opened it up and it only plays in the left signal volume output.? What didi I do

if you're using a magic mouse (or mighty mouse) here's a guess:

place the cursor in the header of the master track where the pan knob exists in the other tracks. there's actually an invisible pan knob there, and using the touch interface of the mouse, for instance, you can adjust the pan on that invisible knob. see if you accidently panned the Master Track fully left.

Jan 8, 2013 10:16 AM in response to HangTime

place the cursor in the header of the master track where the pan knob exists in the other tracks. there's actually an invisible pan knob there, and using the touch interface of the mouse, for instance, you can adjust the pan on that invisible knob. see if you accidently panned the Master Track fully left.

😎 Are there any more such undocumented surprises?

Jan 9, 2013 2:14 PM in response to arifromnyc

arifromnyc wrote:

I don't see any invisible knob for Master Track in Garage band??

that's the point, it's invisible

arifromnyc wrote:

There is no pan knob

slowly move the cursor around the spot and you should eventually see a number popUp near it. that's the spot to change the pan by dragging your finger up or down the magic mouse (or track pea)

arifromnyc wrote:

or volume knob for Master.

there is a slider for the Master Volume

Jan 10, 2013 11:17 AM in response to arifromnyc

No. Master Track Automation only controls Volume, Pitch & Tempo.

It is not the master track automation. It is a hidden "Easter Egg" that should not be there. If you look at my screen shot you see that the Master Track automation is not enabled, but still the control shows that the pan is set to "+20".

This invisible control - undocumented and impossible to deactivate - is a dangerous pitfall, that should be removed immediately. I find it particularly irresponsible to place it directly beside the "Help" button. You can accidentally activate it and never notice that you panned your master track. There is no visual indication of it, unless you manage to find the sweet spot that brings the control forward. I needed ten minutes to find the invisible slider.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.