Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail not syncing inbox of gmail account, but subfolders are being synced...

Hi All,

I ran in to some problems last weeks with 2 of my Macs, both exact same problem with the Mail.app.

For 2 weeks ago I did a totall fresh install of Mountain Lion on my late 2011 MacBook Air. Everything went very smooth and easy but I still have trouble with the mail app. I have 2 mail accounts, one Exchange (Company) and one Google Apps (Gmail) for private mail. The Exchange account is running like a charm but I have trouble getting the Gmail account in sync.

I noticed the inbox is only syncing new messages when the mail app is open or running in the background. When I received 10 mail (gmail) one my iPhone and iPad during the day, the moment I come home and open my MBA, the messages don't show up in my inbox... they are not downloaded!

Even when I mark them unread by either iPhone, iPad or by webmail, the messages are not downloaded to my inbox...

They are only downloaded when I open the mail app in the background, go to the webmail (gmail) and archive the new messages and de-archive them. Then the mail app is receiving the 'new' messages...

Today my new 27" iMac arrived and I installed my gmail account right away.... Guess what, same problem on my iMac...

The mail settings I used are exactly the same as I used on my old iMac (late 2009)....

Strange thing is, I use about 10 subfolders to sort my mail (server side) by mail rules. Those subfolders do stay in sync...

So here I'm I with two Macs I can't get in sync with my Google Apps / Gmail account...

Who can help out, it's driving me crazy!

Thanks,

Sander

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:57 PM

There are no replies.

Mail not syncing inbox of gmail account, but subfolders are being synced...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.