Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad 3 not showing up in iTunes; shows up in iPhoto

I decided to try syncing my iPad 3 today to my iMac. I have made no recent changes to my system -- everything has been stable running OSX 10.6.8, iOs5.1, iTunes 10.6.3.

Usually when I plug in my iPad, iTunes pops open and I see the device. However, this time, only iPhoto opened, and not iTunes. I have reboot both machines twice, checked the USB connector (iPad is charging), and still nothing in iTunes.

I have been through the article about how to try to fix, and I have done everything except update iTunes and the iOS (don't like the new interface, and I'm afraid that something else won't work, like my Apple TV.).

Is there something else I need to try? I don't normally use wifi synching.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:36 PM

Launch iPhoto and go to iPhoto>Preferences>General>Connecting camera opens>no application. Quit iPhoto. Restart your Mac and then try again.

..... and did you see this article as well.

Mac OS X v10.6: iOS device not recognized in iTunes after restart

3 replies

Jan 7, 2013 2:00 PM in response to Lily G.

I'm glad that it all worked out for you. Sometimes iTunes gives me fits when I'm trying to sync. However I sync over WiFi and I feel like at times I have to go thorugh all sorts of contortions in order to get the Mac to see the iPad.

With every new "improvement" to iTunes, I seem to have another issue with the iPad. I am always able to work it out, and it doesn't happen all the time, but its just not like used to be in the earlier versions of iTunes 10. That version was so much more stable and reliable for me.

IPad 3 not showing up in iTunes; shows up in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.