Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.MTS Files Convertor for my iMac? - Help!

I currently have the Sony NEX 5N Camera which I bought to take to on Holiday with me and to basically start messing about with video editing to see how I get on... I'm suprised to find that my iMac won't read the "unrecognised" format of .MTS files which were filmed under the AVCHD setting on the camera which gives pretty amazing HD video.

My iMac is a few years old and the specs are;

Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache:6 MB
Memory:4 GB
Bus Speed:1.07 GHz

I'm not up on computer specs but I thought my iMac would have been able to play back and allow me to edit the HD video from this camera?

I've tried iMovie but no joy, and the camera only comes with software for dealing with Pictures taken on the camera... I've also tried the MTS MT2S converter everyone seems to talk about by Linda Hu, but it seems it's only available on the App Store, which would mean I have to upgrade!?

Can anyone help or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can convert these? I also recently bought the Quicktime Pro upgrade but that doesn't support this format either and to be honest is terrible at converting other videos in my opinion, great player, lousy convertor.

I'd like to find a convertor that will convert these MTS files into maybe MPG4 or MOV files without loosing the quality?

Any help would be great thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 2:45 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2013 3:56 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi, Thanks for replying, unfortunatley this doesn't work... states it requires 10.6 or higher to run, my Mac is 10.5 and I've checked, there are no further updates available...

If I switch the camera to less than 50p/60p it shoots in MPG4 format, but to be honest to looses a little smoothness... and the reason I bought the camera was because of it's really nice HD video (when displayed on TV directly off the camera)... I've just never been able to view or edit any other way yet...

Jan 8, 2013 5:54 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks... OK Russ H from another topic helped me out... He said;

"If iMovie isn't happy with your mts files, download this plug-in and try converting in MPEG Streamclip. You'll probably get an error message from Streamclip but just continue."

And it works!... I have Quicktime Pro and it now plays the MTS file with this plugin installed... a little jittery but probably more to do with the spec of my machine. I have also tried it in MPEG Streamclip and it does give an error message but when I click Continue Anyway it plays (again a little jittery)...

And finally, it now also imports the MTS file into iMovie for editing!

Thanks again!!

.MTS Files Convertor for my iMac? - Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.