Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DHCP / NAT / custom IP range / etc set-up question...

moving from 10.6.8 Server to 10.8 Server. not quite finished yet...

i used the hint here (https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5215) to set-up a custom range of IP addresses and for NAT. (i have not tested that yet though.)

i have a question regarding setting the IP ranges in various services and if anything should change vs. my original set-up. so on 10.6.8 i had it as :

172.16.1.1 - set aside for the machine itself... entered in System Preferences->Network with IP address and Subnet *only*. on a *duplicated* interface. when i had one Ethernet port as Public IP and one Ethernet port as the internal IP it did not work. was told using a single Ethernet port was best. i believe this change was needed between 10.4->10.5 or maybe 10.5->10.6.

172.16.1.2 - 172.16.1.99 - these are set in DHCP to be given out to clients on ethernet and by an Airport in Bridge mode.

172.16.1.100 - 172.16.1.200 - these are addresses i use in the Static Maps section in 10.6.8 ... i don't need that many but this way i know *.100-200 will always be available.

172.16.1.201 - 172.16.1.255 - ones i have set aside specifically for VPN use and entered as the start-end range in that area of the settings.

- - -

so basically... will that same set-up work fine in 10.8?

i have noticed some people make mention of using dual-ethernet again (built-in + a USB dongle) ... is that preferred now (again) or what?

- - -

my only other question so far involves the *single* port forward i need to make for the phone system to an internal static mapped IP. where is that done these days? previously used to be in /etc/nat/natd.plist but obviously not anymore.

i heard maybe pfctl? how exactly? say the port is 12300 and needs to go to 172.16.1.23 internally.

i'm still a bit confused why NAT and custom DHCP ranges went away. seems as if the exact GUI settings that show up in the Airport Admin but missing in Server could easily be a tab in the DHCP section in Server.app... the back-end is apparently all still in existance.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:21 PM

There are no replies.

DHCP / NAT / custom IP range / etc set-up question...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.