Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ML: disabled spell check but still getting red dotted underlines

Hi,

This is not a question, but a solution for those with the same problem.

If you are very annoyed by the red dotted underlines, and you want to disable spell check systemwide in Mountain Lion for whatever reason, read this.

First:

system preferences > language & text > text tab

the checkbox "correct spelling automatically" --> off

If you do this, you'll get rid of the red lines in some situations, but not all:

I was still getting the annoying red lines in iTunes > select song > get info > Lyrics tab

I was still getting them in google Chrome browser too.

The solution provided here worked great for me in Snow Leopard, (and reportedly in Lion too), but not anymore in Mountain Lion:

http://www.chromescreen.com/disable-spell-checker-in-mac-osx-system-wide/

I entered this command in terminal:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticSpellingCorrectionEnabled -bool NO

Works in Snow Leopard, but not anymore in Mountain Lion.

So I went on searching how to get rid of it and finally found part of the solution here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2577594?start=0&tstart=0

This finally stopped the red lines from appearing in iTunes Lyrics tab

Now Chrome was still not solved:

Here I found it was easy to ged rid of them, just by right-clicking on text I was typing in Gmail, and then disable "check spelling while typing" under "Spelling and Grammar".

Didn't check yet if the red line horror comes back after reboot, in that case I'll report back.

Hope this helps anyone.

And please don't tell me I'd better use spell-check. I'm not native English, I know I make grammatical and spelling mistakes sometimes, but it's not that horrible I think.

I have my OS and applications set to English, because when troubleshooting, it's easier not having to look for translation of error messages in english, as google produces much more results in English then my native language (Flemish, a Dutch variant), and the other languages that I know and use. So whenever I'm typing in other languages, or using non-dictionary words, the red lines are visually distracting.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.6GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 5400

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:03 PM

2 replies

Nov 5, 2013 1:26 PM in response to --A--C--

The problem lies with Apple. For me as a user if I don't want the computer to do something then the computer shouldn't. Period. This is very frustrating that everytime I shut down Apple mail then the "Check spelling: NEVER" turns back to "As I type". That's not what I want. I want NEVER to mean NEVER. Capiche?

Never mind my spelling erros....

ML: disabled spell check but still getting red dotted underlines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.