Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

resetting the password for backups

resetting the password for backups in itunes for iphone

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:03 PM

7 replies

Nov 16, 2014 7:50 AM in response to roaminggnome

Hello,

I need to Restore my backup and iTunes is asking me for a password... What password? I don't even remember having one...so I have the backup saved on my computer and I can't use it, I lost all my contacts; when my phone sync with ITunes all applications were reinstalled but my music, pics and contacts are in the backup..what can I do? any idea?

Thanks,

Alina

Nov 16, 2014 10:32 AM in response to alina7

Would kind of defeat the purpose of an encrypted backup if you could simply bypass it. At this point your contacts are probably lost anyway judging by your comment.

I lost all my contacts; when my phone sync with ITunes all applications were reinstalled but my music, pics and contacts are in the backup.

If you have connected your device to a new (to it) iTunes library then your contacts and camera roll may have been backed up, but they should also still be on the device. Other pictures and music are not included in the backup. If you've synced more than once then anything that was copied into the backup the first time around and is now missing from the device will have been removed from the backup too.

Do you still have access to a computer that you used previously?

tt2

Nov 16, 2014 12:29 PM in response to alina7

Well I've no idea then. It would seem your only option is try every password suggested by that support document, or give it up and start over.

If you're lucky any photos you're taken with the device are available in your photo stream.

You could move the contents of C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup to another folder to force iTunes to create a new backup for the device and this time make sure that it isn't encrypted.

tt2

resetting the password for backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.