Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unique(?) tethering problem...

So I have a rather interesting problem. I am able to turn on tethering, connect my iphone 5 with ios 6.0.2 and use it no problem. the problem arises when I turn off tethering and dont use it for a couple hours. When I go to activate tethering, it will boot me out of the screen and tell me that I have to contact my provider to set up tethering. to fix this, all I have to do is "reset the network settings". the problem is, I have to do this multiple times a day.

I have switched my sim card, got Apple to do a hardware swap (theyve given me another brand new iphone 5 as mine was only 1 week old) and have done multiple reinstalls from scratch (not using my backed up data) and have hard rebooted countless times. I have also contacted my provider and they have taken off and reinitialized the tethering service. It continues to happen.

I have read many boards but havent been successful in finding someone else with the same problem as me.

If anyone has any idea what is happening and know a fix, please share!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:07 AM

In case other people are experiencing something similar, I believe I have fixed my problem.

Initially, I went to Apple to ask them to run a diagnostic on the iphone 5. After running a diagnostic and the Apple guy fiddling with my phone without showing me what he was doing, he informed me that he has sent the results to their tech team for analysis (whatever that entails).

After the diagnostic, the Apple guy basically sent me away and told me that if the tech team found anything unusual, they would contact me.... Not happy with that answer, I set out to "fiddle" around with some settings on the iPhone5 on my own.

On the iPhone5, I went into Settings>General>Cellular> and under Cellular Data, I clicked it off, waited a few minutes, then on again. I then did a hard reboot of the phone.

and that was the end of my problem... to this day, I dont know if the Apple guy did anything to fix it, or if it was the turning cell data off then on. But I havent had a problem with my phone... (knock on wood!)

Hope that helps!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2013 11:07 AM in response to jeffong

In case other people are experiencing something similar, I believe I have fixed my problem.

Initially, I went to Apple to ask them to run a diagnostic on the iphone 5. After running a diagnostic and the Apple guy fiddling with my phone without showing me what he was doing, he informed me that he has sent the results to their tech team for analysis (whatever that entails).

After the diagnostic, the Apple guy basically sent me away and told me that if the tech team found anything unusual, they would contact me.... Not happy with that answer, I set out to "fiddle" around with some settings on the iPhone5 on my own.

On the iPhone5, I went into Settings>General>Cellular> and under Cellular Data, I clicked it off, waited a few minutes, then on again. I then did a hard reboot of the phone.

and that was the end of my problem... to this day, I dont know if the Apple guy did anything to fix it, or if it was the turning cell data off then on. But I havent had a problem with my phone... (knock on wood!)

Hope that helps!

Unique(?) tethering problem...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.