Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Simple border on picture-in-picture

I'm trying to put simple borders on two items with FCPX 10.0.7:

1. Picture in picture (clip in clip) after I've transformed and trimmed the smaller clip.
  2. PIP (still photo in clip) after I've transformed and applied Ken Burns to the photo.

In both cases, the border shows on only one side of the smaller item, or in some attempts 2 sides, but never all 4 sides.

Surely there's a way. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:58 AM

You are not saying how you are trying to add that border.

For a simple border, the easiest way may be to connect a generator (or some other picture or clip) right below the small clip and adjust the generator size and position to match that clip, and make it a tad bigger, so that it shows as a border. Is that what you are trying?

Also, you may be interested to know that in recent versions (since 10.0.6) there is a built-in drop shadow effect. It may or may not be a nicer alternative to a solid border, giving a sense of depth to the inset picture.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 2:58 AM in response to gyandev

You are not saying how you are trying to add that border.

For a simple border, the easiest way may be to connect a generator (or some other picture or clip) right below the small clip and adjust the generator size and position to match that clip, and make it a tad bigger, so that it shows as a border. Is that what you are trying?

Also, you may be interested to know that in recent versions (since 10.0.6) there is a built-in drop shadow effect. It may or may not be a nicer alternative to a solid border, giving a sense of depth to the inset picture.

Jan 8, 2013 7:56 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thank you, Luis and Karsten. To answer your question, Luis, I'd been trying to add the simple border via, well, the Simple Border effect. That works fine for PIPs that don't need to be trimmed, and for photos that aren't getting a Ken Burns effect. Otherwise, not so fine.

Before I saw Karsten's reply, in desperation I'd already done a somewhat kludgy approach, along the lines of what Luis suggested: I put a generated rectangle behind the PIP, and carefully sized it to spill under the PIP just enough to look like a border, with the PIP stacked atop the rectangle in the story line.

The key, I found, was to make those 2 into a compound clip. Until I did that, the dissolve never looked right: there was a glimpse of the rectangle (not just its outer edges) behind the PIP, on both the dissolve in and dissolve out. But when the dissolve was applied to the compound clip rather than to the individual components, everything worked.

But my, that was more tedious than I'd have liked. Next time, I'll use Steve Martin's plugin.

Thanks again for the help,

Rich

Feb 10, 2016 11:06 AM in response to gyandev

I'm having the same problem, but the solutions don't seem to work for me. I have a clip above another that I've resized and cropped. When I apply the "Frame" effect to just the clip as-is, I only see the parts of the frame that are visible on edges that haven't been cropped. If I try creating the PIP clip as a compound clip, the frame gets wrapped around what would be the full-size clip, not the cropped version, so there's white space surrounding it.

I even tried the Ripple Training free plugin that does picture-in-picture, but it has the same problem.

Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong?

Simple border on picture-in-picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.