Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i acces the harddisk on the airport extreme over the internet?

On the airport extreme i shared a usb harddisk over the LAN and WAN.

I have it secured by accounts with password. It works within the LAN.

I try to use the public IPadres within finder (Connect to a server) on an other apple outside of my Lan.

It won't connect.

What can be the problem?

Airport extreme-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:12 AM

10 replies

Jan 10, 2013 9:31 AM in response to RuudZ

Is your AirPort Extreme the only router in your network configuration? That is, is it connected directly by Ethernet to an Internet Broadband modem or to another router upstream of it? Also, just to be sure I understand your current configuration, is the USB HDD attached to the AirPort Extreme or some other network client?

The set up steps are referring to AirPort Utility version 5.x.

Jan 10, 2013 11:31 PM in response to Tesserax

It is connected directly by ethernet to an internet broadband modem. The provider told me that everything on the modem is open. So i don't have to change anything in the modem.

The USB HDD is attached to the airport extreme. I use version 7.6 as airport utility. There i shared the disk over the WAN with a password (no accounts)

Jan 13, 2013 1:20 AM in response to RuudZ

The key is that you must have a publicly reachable IP address on the modem's WAN side. In addition, if your ISP provides you with a dynamic Public IP address (most common with consumer-grade Internet service), you will have to use some means of DDNS like I mentioned in method #3 in my user tip.

If you are entering either the DDNS-service provided domain name or an IP address with the appropriate port that you defined, it should allow remote users access to the AirPort Disk. If not, either you are entering the incorrect domain or IP value or your ISP is not actually providing you with a publicly reachable IP address. Again, I mention this in my tip.

how can i acces the harddisk on the airport extreme over the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.