Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reinstall graphics drivers?

How can I reinstall the Nvidia geforce 320M graphics driver that originally was running on my Macbook (late 2010) White Unibody. I downloaded a graphics driver update from nvidia and tried to install it. It told me it wasnt for my system, but i read on another forum where someone said they installed it and it worked better for them. They had a guide on how they did it which was by clicking show package contents and installing the three packages inside of the installer file. Is there anyway I can reverse this without reinstalling mountain lion again (or losing all my files)?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:09 AM

Any graphics drivers that you'll ever need are provided by Apple - you're just opening yourself up to kernel panics if you try to force install the NVIDIA CUDA drivers... time and again, people who report kernel panics have tried to install non-Apple video drivers.

Are you having problems with your video card? If not, just best to leave it alone. If so, just make sure that you have all of the latest updates.

Good luck,

Clinton

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 1:09 AM in response to Noahwhite2014

Any graphics drivers that you'll ever need are provided by Apple - you're just opening yourself up to kernel panics if you try to force install the NVIDIA CUDA drivers... time and again, people who report kernel panics have tried to install non-Apple video drivers.

Are you having problems with your video card? If not, just best to leave it alone. If so, just make sure that you have all of the latest updates.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 8, 2013 1:09 AM in response to Noahwhite2014

See, one of the good things about Apple is that you don't need to mess around with graphics drivers and that sort of stuff because they know the hardware you're using. Actually, you should not mess around with it. And you should trust a system warning message more than some guy on some other forum.

Well, 'nuff said on that.

I fear you'll need to re-install the system. Of course, since you prefer messing with the OS, you have at least one working backup in place... just in case, though you should not need it when re-installing through the Recovery System. Which, of course, you know as a "system hacker"... 😉

Jan 8, 2013 1:42 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Do you think apple support would send me the original graphics driver for me to install if i contacted them? Or would they just tell me to restore my system..?

Edit:
decided to execute the archive bom file and it showed me the drivers were only installed to my user. Made a new account and just dragged all my personal files over and deleted the other account. Guess ill just play COD with the freezes since there is no fix for nvidia chips on mountain lion for my system 😟 thanks for the help though

Edit 2:
Just kidding it wasnt installed to my user :/ im reinstalling the macbook EFI firmware update now do you think it will reinstall all my drivers?

How can I reinstall graphics drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.