Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caps lock button works in reverse!

Dear All,

this is my problem: the caps lock button (with green LED) on my MacBook Pro 13 "mid-2009, works in reverse! When the LED is on (green light) I type lowercase fonts, when the LED is off I type uppercase fonts!

I tried everything: booting from an external disk with different operating system from mine (I use MacOSX 10.7.5), reset PRAM, reset SMC, removed the internal battery, made test hardware, Disk Warriors, etc.. I brought the laptop at an Apple-authorized center where they tried all they know, but nothing was found.

I called Apple support and the guy suggests me to format the disk (I don't make it, and sincerely it's not seems the solution for me.

However, someone tells me something to do?

Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Ennio Busato (from Italy)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2016 7:52 PM

So my caps was working in reverse but I discovered that I must have clicked 'option and caps lock' instead of 'command and tab' to switch between screens. When I clicked on 'option and caps lock' again it all went back to normal. Hope this helps for other people. (Macbook Pro Mid 2014 Retina)

13 replies

Jan 8, 2013 8:27 AM in response to sig

Hi,

I just followed the steps “Before resetting the SMC” and afterwards the steps to set up the SMC, BUT THE PROBLEM STAYS AGAIN.

Now, I want try to remove the internal hard disk and start with an external hard disk (or with a CD); in this mode I want to see if the problem is related to the HD/System or to the motherboard.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013 8:54 AM in response to enniofromtv

I haven't found much on the web about this. I did run across one post of the same problem and that person said she could fix hers by hitting Caps Lock, then Shift, then Caps Lock again.

Do you have any keyboard-related apps that might be causing this problem?

I don't know if it will do anything but what happens if you open Keyboard Viewer (on right side of the menu bar) and click on the Caps Lock button in the viewer? You might first have to go to System Preferences/Keyboard to turn on "Show Keyboard Viewer in Menu Bar".

Caps lock button works in reverse!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.