Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capturing continuous HDV over timecode breaks

Hello! I hope someone out there can assist me - I've been searching google and doing some trial and error, but cannot find a solution.

I have HDV video that I'm trying to capture into FCP 7. The footage has timecode breaks in it, some longer than others. I'd love to FCP to just gloss over them, ala capturing DV footage, but it seems it cannot.

Re-recording is not an option as the client doesn't want to pay for the additional work. The capture itself is a byproduct of the videographer not remembering to compress live on site.

Thanks for any help you might have!

Additional info - capturing to a FW800 drive, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7 with 16GB ram - HDV coming from Sony HVR 1500

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:11 AM

There are three options in the general preferences for on timecode break.

make new clip

this could give you 50 clips if you have 50 TC breaks in a two minute video.

abort capture

not really an option if you know you have TC breaks

warn after capture

most likely the best option presuming you cannot involve other equipment/dub to another tape/or have access/money for other options.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 8:11 AM in response to jarrodmakesvideos

There are three options in the general preferences for on timecode break.

make new clip

this could give you 50 clips if you have 50 TC breaks in a two minute video.

abort capture

not really an option if you know you have TC breaks

warn after capture

most likely the best option presuming you cannot involve other equipment/dub to another tape/or have access/money for other options.

Jan 15, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Jim Cookman

So folks... the client said get another deck and do what you have to do!

So, that's what I've been doing. However, the decks seem to still recognize the breaks when they're especially bad.

I have timecode set on the recording deck to free-run on a preset start code. The two are connected via firewire 400 cables. The model is HVR 1500.

Thanks again for the help.

Jan 16, 2013 1:39 PM in response to jarrodmakesvideos

i'm having similar problems ... but i'm using mini-dv tapes that have been sitting for 5 years (and they were recycled ones).

After trying all of the options with FCP and iMovie and getting clips that are a max of 11 seconds long, losing so many pieces of the tape (that are visible in the camera's screen), i finally decided to hook the camera up to my dvd-hdd deck and copy to it.

It plays back perfectly, no skips or missing areas ... once it's copied I will burn to a dvd and then work on getting the video into FCP for editing.

Is this a possible option for you?

Elizabeth

Jan 16, 2013 9:22 PM in response to jarrodmakesvideos

Can you get your hands on the same make and model camcorder that the footage was shot on? I know this was suggested in a prior post and you said that you can't get the camera. But, if you can rent a Sony HVR 1500 (I'm assuming it's a rental), can't you rent the same camera that it was shot in? It's not uncommon to sometimes have to capture from the same device that was used to shoot the video in the first place.

The drop frame error that you linked does not result from non-continuous time code.

Also, the free run time code setting on the deck affects where it looks for tc source when recording (it doesn't affect tc during playback of a recorded tape).

Based on everything in this forum so far, I'd suggest you go with Michael's suggestion and get a Blackmagic Decklink card (assuming that your computer can accomodate one). Patching the SD-HDI out of the deck to the SD-HDI input of the Blackmagic Decklink should do the trick. If you have something with HDMI out on it that can play the tape, you can go with Blackmagic's more affordable Intensity product that has HDMI in.

Plan C would be to rent or buy a HD field recorder and patch the video out of the deck to the video in of the field recorder. As long as the tape plays, you should be able to get it across.

Good luck!

-Warren

Capturing continuous HDV over timecode breaks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.