Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb transfer from 2010 MBP applications disc

Hi guys, I have a convulted problem and I wonder if anyone can help me. My old mid-2010 MBP 15" died on Christmas Eve after a long downward spiral -- it was like It's a Wonderful Life without the last five minutes -- and I've only just got a late 2012 Mac Mini as a replacement. I had a Time Machine backup (via Time Capsule) but, like an idiot, I'd only synched my data rather than my applications. So I moved my files over to the new computer, and I've restored nearly all of my applications since they could be (re)downloaded easily. But the one thing I'm still missing is iWeb. I know it's been discontinued but I still use it to manage a very small website. So I thought that I could probably get hold of the application via the Applications reinstall DVD that came with my MBP back in 2010 -- I have the disc, and I was able to run it via Remote Disc on my wife's old MacBook (which still has an actual dvd drive, zounds). But when I try to run the installer package, my Mini runs the program to determine whether the package can be installed and immediately tells me that "these applications are either already installed on your computer or this computer is not compatible with this disc." I had thought I could simply run the installer, then uncheck all the apps save for iWeb -- but it seems I can't get past first base.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could retrieve iWeb -- if not from this disc, then via some other method? The HD on the busted MBP is not really an option since the stricken machine has a horrible logic board failure that scrambles the whole system within seconds of startup. I guess I could get the HD out of the MBP and try to read it via a disk adapter -- and have now actually ordered an adapter, because I want to be ready for my Time Capsule's eighteen-month anniversary -- but DHL is arriving tomorrow to pick up the old machine so I may have missed that window. (Apple very kindly agreed to replace the machine, even though it's a couple of years old, because it was so unreliable -- so that part of the story, at least, has a happy ending.)

Thanks in advance for any help on offer, and apologies for all the extraneous information.

iWeb '08, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:33 AM

10 replies

Jan 8, 2013 8:52 AM in response to Roddy

Thanks for the speedy reply. The thing is though, I was using iWeb just fine on my old MBP running Mountain Lion. I am 99% sure that I didn't buy iLife 11 at any point, so I'd have been running whatever version of iWeb was bundled with a MBP back in 2010. (iLife 09?) Though perhaps you're suggesting that that version was patched to ensure compatibility with later versions of OS X?

Jan 8, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Hampy29

Your original post says you are using iWeb '08 and Mountain Lion.

The latest version of iWeb - V 3.0.4 - runs OK on Mountain Lion but see this page for more info...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/mountain-lion.html

Maybe you need to trash iLife and then reinstall? Try looking/asking in the Mac Mini forum...

https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/mac_mini?view=overview

Jan 8, 2013 10:27 AM in response to Hampy29

You can just copy the iWeb 3 applicaiton from your old MBP to the Mini. Then give this a try:

In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

To open your domain file in Lion or Mountain Lion or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

OT

Jan 8, 2013 10:31 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Toad! But the old MBP is dead as a doornail. And DHL will be showing up tomorrow to take it back to Appleship, so I don't have a way to get any of the applications off the old machine. It's really frustrating - literally every other app has been easy to replace, either via original install discs or the App store or free downloads (occasionally with purchase keys). But my only copy of iWeb is locked away on the MBP Applications Disc from 2010. I wonder, though, if I might have more luck trying to access it via the optical drive of the new MBP (non-retina, mid-2012) that Apple are sending me next week as a replacement?

Jan 8, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Old Toad

OK, no joy on that score. Can't get the MBP to boot properly even into Target Disk mode. But I'll keep my fingers crossed either that someone may have a cute suggestion on the Mini forum, or that the old Applications disc may actually be recognisable by my new MBP when it arrives next week. If not, I can always beg my local Apple Story for help -- I'll bet they have an iWeb install disc at the bottom of a drawer...

Thanks again!

iWeb transfer from 2010 MBP applications disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.