Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover a Saved Over Pages File

I accidentally saved over a Pages file with another file of the same name. Is there any place in my machine where the original file is still present? Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'm running Pages 4.3 on a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 13-inch, Mid 2009

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:14 AM

11 replies

Sep 26, 2017 11:48 PM in response to Dr.mj66

"Can I still restore the original file if I do not have timemachine?"

Sure, provided you have made a backup copy of the original file in a different location from the one which was overwritten.

If you have not made a backup copy if the file, treat this as the lesson that almost every user experiences at some time.

Things happen. Some of those things can destroy files. If the only copy is destroyed, the only way to restore that file is to recreate the file. If you've made a backup copy, you can easily restore it from that copy.

If your Mac is running a recent version of OS X or macOS, you have Timemachine—it's part of the System software. You need only set it up and provide a place for it to save backup copies of your files to start using it.

Timemachine is probably the most convenient way of creating backups—Save a document once, to give it a name and location. Time machine (If it has been turned on) will create a backup copy, then continue to save new version information as the file is edited. When the original file is damaged or destroyed, you can restore the most recently saved version o that file via Timemachine.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 8, 2013 9:30 AM in response to GoldenA

In my opinion, TimeMachinre has quite a bit to recommend it even if you are using other backup methods in addition. I keep a TimeMachine backup and a Bootable Backup. I refresh the Bootable Backup once or twice a week and the TimeMachine backup whenever it warns me that it is running out of local HD room. I really like that TimeMachine keep working on the MBP even when the drive is disconnected.

Jerry

Jan 8, 2013 7:15 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter,

I've been using TM since the day it was released and have had more good experiences than bad. I had a TM drive fail, but I don't blame that on the software. I've salvaged files that were lost in the MobileMe to iCloud switchover, and I've used it to roll back time on document versions. I wouldn't rely on one method alone, and it's not what I would consider an archive. I archive elsewhere, so if a TM drive fails it's not a big deal. I have the bootable image of the internal HD on an external drive, just in case of another drive failure. If I was running a business my system would be totally inadequate, but it's not a business and I'm comfortable with what I have.

Jerry

Jan 9, 2013 9:03 AM in response to GoldenA

So, the net for the OP is that unless the original document is backed up elsewhere, the overwritten content is gone for good.

Had the OP been using the Pages save a version feature, prior versions could be accessed by hovering the pointer over the document name. This would reveal a triangle and a menu entry offering to browse all versions of the document. The visual appearance for past versions is similar to the Time Machine Restore interface.

Perhaps, a sound future strategy would be a combination of routine backup and Pages versioning.

More information can be found by choosing the Pages Help menu and typing “version” into the search field.

Recover a Saved Over Pages File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.