Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 won't connect with Ethernet cable after 5.1.1 update

My ATV3 is updated to 5.1.1 but it won't connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. I've tested the connection and can connect to the internet around 12 MBPS. I made sure the settings on the ATV match those on the router. I even took the WIFI settings and manually entered them when the ATV was on a wired connection and nothing. The ATV isn't getting any router information automatically from my network like my MBP did when I connected it to the cable.

I've reset and restarted countless times. Are there any other solutions aside from downgrading the OS to 5.0? I'm working with a 2Wire ATT router which I've had problems with regarding speed but I doubt this is the issue.

Any help is much appreciated.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:16 AM

11 replies

Jan 14, 2013 3:44 PM in response to James Kelly6

I'm having the same problem. I'm in University housing and I can't access the wifi network on my ATV3, so I absolutely need ethernet to connect. It worked fine yesterday, and when we bought a new ethernet cable to rearrange our living room, it suddenly stopped working. It now won't work with any cable, on any port. I was able to connect through the mobile hotspot on my iPhone, though.

I've tried resetting, and also restoring to factory settings, and nothing will work.

Jan 14, 2013 5:18 PM in response to inwardplum

The only thing that I've found that works is downgrading the operating system to 5.0.2. The thread to do it on the discussion board but I don't have it handy. Essentially, you have to:

1. Find the 5.0.2 firmware file

2. Plug your ATV up to your computer, first the mini USB (the nook cable works) then plug it in.

3. When you're ready to restore, hold down Shift if using a Windows PC or Option if using a MAC.

4. Find the file and restore the ATV.

The only thing that ***** is remembering NOT to update to 5.1.1 and that it takes a couple minutes for the ATV to load everything. When I start my ATV, I quickly go to the restart option, go do something else for about 5 minutes and you're ready to go.

Hope that helps. 😁

Jan 16, 2013 4:41 AM in response to James Kelly6

James,

I have the same problem with my ATV3. Wireless seems to work, however, no connestion to itunes store when hooked up to ethernet cable.

This whole experience has been frustrating for me and I presume for many other ATV users. For the time being my solution was to downgrade to 5.0.2. Ethernet connection works, and I have access to the itunes store.

APPLE is dragging its feet on this whole issue. At the very least they should advise ATV users that there is a problem, and that they are working on it (hopefully)!

Good luck.

Jan 16, 2013 7:35 AM in response to topfly

After downgrading to 5.0.2 I still could not get an Ethernet connection, so I took it to the Apple Store to see if it might be a hardware issue. Surprisingly, it worked perfectly fine on the Apple Store's Ethernet, so I'm not sure what the issue is anymore. They suggested that my hardware address may have been blocked by the University for some reason and I should contact my system admin. I'm not sure if anything will come from doing that, but I've temporarily set up an Internet sharing option by connecting my ATV and MacBook via Ethernet and everything works fine. Better than nothing I suppose, especially since we also have a Roku that can handle the bulk of our streaming (albeit, much more slowly), but for the times I really need my iTunes movies/tv shows/YouTube, I can bother with the second cable.

I've seen this issue everywhere, and it's a little disappointing that something isn't being done about it.

Jan 16, 2013 7:57 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I don't mean my issue in particular, I mean the Ethernet issues in general. Before I learned that it may be my university's network, I did some research, and I found a lot of people complaining about Ethernet connectivity problems after upgrading to 5.1.1. I was commenting on the previous poster's statement, I'm sorry for not making that clearer.

Aug 12, 2013 3:42 PM in response to James Kelly6

It is a relief to find I am not alone with this appalling issue of not being able to use the ethernet connection!

I would love to know where to find an old firmware as I seriously regret upgrading. It crashed my Apple TV and I had to connect up to a borrowed computer (I am travelling and only have an iPad). It took about ten attempts to download the current firmware from Apple's servers as the download would repeatedly fail part way. All searches on the applesite for the error code pointed to fixing network connections but that only made sense if the download had failed at the start and not after 500MB.

I am so disappointed with the performance of this box, I wish I could take it back. Unfortunately, as I bought it in another country, and there are no Apple stores near me, I may have to leave it to gather dust for a few months and hope a fix is produced.

When I do operate it on wifi, the mirroring is flakey, and sometimes shows a black screen instead of my iPad desktop, and changing photos too quickly leaves it confused, and I havto wait while it catches up.

Anyone with a link to a working firmware, please share it...

Nov 27, 2013 1:29 PM in response to James Kelly6

I have this exact problem on two seperate AppleTV's. Both worked flawless prior to the next to the last update. Sometimes the ATV doesn't even see the network - but it does see the ethernet cable is plugged in because it doesn't fail over to the wifi connection.

The wifi is connected to the exact same network system as the ethernet - both worked flawless until I ran the updates. The updates added more viewing options and iTunes Radio - all are nice but not really anything I'm interested in.

I would enter my username and then the password and click the SUBMIT button. Then I'd get the unable to connect to the itunes store error like the rest of you. I took one of my ATV's to a friend's house and connected it to his network. Via ethernet, no connection. I unplugged the cable and it failed over properly to wifi and worked flawlessly.

Back home, I tried ethernet - no luck. Wifi works perfect.

So - it MUST be an issue with the last 2 ATV updates that are somehow killing functionality of the RJ45 port.

2 devices tested on 2 different networks - all with the same results.

Hopefully Apple is working on a resolution.

Just wanted to add in my 2 cents. ;o)

Ron

Feb 13, 2014 2:51 AM in response to - Ron -__

I have the same problem not being able to connect via ethernet.

ATV 3 is now 6.0.2.

It had worked before but not anymore.

I am using powerline ethernet adapters.

I thought the powerline eithernet was the problem.

So I plugged the same cable into my notebook and the notebook connects fine.

I disconnect the notebook, and plug the cable into the ATV 3 which detects the ethernet cable and disconnects the wifi. There's no IP address (except the self-generated one).

Next, I ran an ethernet cable directly from my router (in another room) to ATV 3. This works !

So for some reason, ATV 3 does not like powerline adpaters.

I moved ATV 3 to another room which has a different brand of powerline adapter.

Same problem - no IP address 😟

I ran a cable fromthe router to that room and connected the ATV 3 to it. It works.

I tried the same in the third room (yet again a different brand of powerine adapter).

So, after the update, ATV 3 ethernet port does not work with various powerline adpaters 😟

I cannot use wifi as it's too slow to stream HD video (buffering, stutter, etc).

I have tried factory resets, restarts, etc but without joy.

Is there any way to downgrade the update and go back ?

Message for Apple Marketing: no we do not use the extra (paid-for) marketing rubbish you added to the update except break the ATV 3 and making it useless !😠

Apple TV 3 won't connect with Ethernet cable after 5.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.