Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Time Capsule need to create a new backup after a verification to improve reliability?

This is the second time within 1/2 a year that I get the following error message:

Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “TheLittleOnes Time Capsule 1”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.

Click Start New Backup to create a new backup. This will remove your existing backup history. This could take several hours.

Click Back Up Later to be reminded tomorrow. Time Machine won’t perform backups during this time.

I already lost my old backups when this happend the first time and I clicked "Start new Backup".

How can I fix that?

It's the backup for my MacBookPro (Early 2011) Mountain Lion.

It's a 3TB Time Capsule, the Backup is done wireless.

One intersting point is that my mini mac doesn't seem to have this problem. (same OS like MacBookPro)

Thanks

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 9:57 AM

1 reply

Jan 8, 2013 12:27 PM in response to LAUSBUA

Are you using wireless?

I would expect it to happen now and again with wireless.. as it is easy to corrupt something.

Next time it happens try to fix the sparsebundle. Use the method here.

A5 http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

If you want snapshots of the disk.. use superduper and plug it in via ethernet.. they will keep perfectly. The very nature of TM is to keep mashing up the existing backup.. one day it is going to shoot itself in the foot, especially on wireless and especially with the network issues Mountain Lion brings.

Why does Time Capsule need to create a new backup after a verification to improve reliability?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.