Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows won't Install

Hello, I have tried everything but fail to get the installation running on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011). I'm installing a Windows 8 copy though bootcamp. I have tried doing this by two methods, the installation DVD and the USB drive(Editing the .plist of bootcamp).

1. Using the DVD, Bootcamp successfully is able to partition my Hard Drive but when I reboot normally into the installation or through selecting the booting device by pressing the option key, it just leads to a black screen with a flickering cursor on the top left handside. I have tried burning two separate disks but both are unsuccessful in starting th installation process.

2. Using the Thumb drive, I was successfully able to restore the image of the .iso of the Windows OS to the thumbdrive using Bootcamp itself and also was able to partition my drive. The installation process also starts using this method but is stuck at the part where I point the installer to a destination drive where I have to install Windows. When I select the BOOTCAMP partition, it simply gives me an error to convert to NTFS which when I do using the Format option in the Advanced Settings, gives another error stating "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks." and hasn't moved further in the installation process after this. I have also tried to format the BOOTCAMP drive using the Command Promt in the Windows Installer but that too failed.

I have tried to reboot several times, partion and re-partitioning the BOOTCAMP drive and formatting it several times but it simply won't work. I have also repaired permissions of my Hard drive using the Disk Utility in Mac OSX as well as the one in the Recovery Drive but hasn't worked.

Any help which will lead me to a successful installation of Windows 8 would be appreciated.

Thank You.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 11:27 AM

4 replies

Windows won't Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.