Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peaceful co-existance between iPads

I received an iPad mini for Christmas. My wife already had an iPad 2. Her iPad was set up to synch with my iMac. I have also logged my iMac into her iCloud so we share common pictures, apps, etc. The iTunes account on my iMac is signed into my apple id. She has loaded her own apps as well as some of my apps onto her iPad. When I got my mini, I put it under my iCloud account and originally synched it to my iMac. I loaded several new apps using my Apple ID. My intention has been to separate the 2 iPads, removing apps she had loaded under her ID and adding copies of my own. That way, when the app store icon pops up saying there is a new version, I do not have to enter her apple id as well as my own. When synching iPads, I have only selected the apps she wants on hers- and I have done the same with mine.

Here is the issue- she keeps getting the new apps that I have loaded on my Mini, onto her iPad. She has her iPad set up the way she likes it- does not want new apps unless she loads them. That is understandable, as I want the same with my iPad. Can I keep the 2 separate, but still synching to one iMac? Is there a setting I am overlooking that I need to have to avoid sharing apps between iPads (unless we want to)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:09 PM

You may have automatic downloads turned on in the itunes store settings.

Go to settings/itunes and app stores/ turn off autoamatic downloads. Also verify that the correct apple id username is signed in.

4 replies

Jan 9, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Texas Mac Man- really helpful link. Thanks for attaching it. I have been doing a variation of #2- each iPad has different playlists that I synch to them. That conserves space on each iPad and matches the taste of the owner. My wife has no interest in using my iMac- she just expects me to work my magic to ensure she gets the music, links and apps she wants. So, there is no need to set up different accounts. It is good to know option 3 exists. If I continue to have issues with cross-polination, I may try that.

GrumpyGator- thank you for your suggestion. Sure enough, the box was checked. I unchecked it and will wait to hear if I get any more complaints. That may solve the issue.

Ralph- thanks for your comments. It sounds like you are using option 2 (TMM's link) and I may still consider that if I need to.

Thanks everyone.

Mark

Peaceful co-existance between iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.