Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete data range

When I created a line chart in Numbers, based upon an existing table, the graph was generated with an additional, unwanted data series. That series, near as I can tell, was defined in the graph creation as the first column, which contains dates, but which is intended only for the y-axis label. Yet the series does not plot on the graph, and I can't see any cells for it in the Inspector -> Chart -> Series -> Data box. However the legend shows this "phantom" series, and the overall chart width is being controlled by this phantom series.

I don't want this phantom data series. How do I undefine it?

- Ken

Numbers 09 v 2.3-OTHER, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 1:35 PM

click the chart once, then adjust the data are in the source table

4 replies

Jan 8, 2013 2:42 PM in response to morrisonkena

Kena,

It is important to treat the underlying problem, not just the sympton. You need to make sure that your category labels are recognized. The most likely cause for them not being recognized is it they are in a normal Body Column. Category Labels must be in a Header. Here is an example of the same chart created from a table with no header column and a table with one header column.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Jerry

Jan 8, 2013 4:50 PM in response to morrisonkena

My thanks to Wayne and Jerry. Both gave me good pointers to the solution.

First I needed to better understand how Numbers creates a graph when based upon an existing table. This will keep me from have a problem in the first place. R (not skim) TFM, then test, is the solution here. Now that I understand a bit better in future I *will* create graphs with the data series defined properly, as I intended.

But once in the mess it was not intutitive how to solve it, other than deleting the graph and starting over, which I was loath to do. First I redefined the unwelcome series to exclude the header rows. Then lpgaffney, in a post on Oct. 5, 2011, gave me the final answer. I created a new column then copied into it the x-axis date data I wished to save. Then I deleted the date column tied to the unwelcome series, which deleted that series from the graph. Finally I resynced the x-axis date data to the new column.

But it should not be this hard. The Inspector -> Chart -> Series pane should allow you to add or delete a data series. Simple.

- Ken

Jan 8, 2013 6:58 PM in response to morrisonkena

Kren,

It's really easy to make a chart, and just as easy to add a series. To add a Series, just select the column and then drag it to the Chart. There are at least three ways;

1. Drag corner of Chart Data Box in Table

2. Select Data and Drag to Chart'

3. Add a Column to a Table that is dedicated to a Chart and then add data to that column.

Jerry

delete data range

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.