Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is destructive when editing photos

Hi,

I recently discovered that when you use the editing tools with iPhoto and export / share them, they are destructively shrinked to 3MP (2048x1536).

I don't see this documented anywhere. It's a HUGE problem not telling the users that all the pictures are destroyed.

I just tested with a full size picture from iPhone 4S 8MP.

1. Take picture on iPhone 4S

2. Sync between devices via photostream @ full resolution on the PC and "optimized size" on the iPad.

3. Open and Edit on the iPad

4. Save and Share

Boom, now the picture is 3MP instead of 8MP in the photostream.

I would expect iPhoto to get the full resolution photo and edit it, instead of shrinking it.

I can understand that the pictures showed on the iPad are optimized for performance reason, but not that the iPhoto App save the optimized one instead of the full resolution one just like Apps like Camera+ and I think all other serious Apps.

This is totally wrong. I know discovered that I lost original pictures because of this *undocumented & not user friendly* behavior by deleting "duplicate" (original) pictures...

Not the first time that I can't trust Apple stuff. Last time, iCloud syncing with Keynote on iOS destroyed all my presentations but the opened one. I lost everything...

iPhoto iOS-OTHER, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:43 PM

iPhoto for iOS is best used to edit photos and share those photos on social media sites like Facebook. It is known that iPhoto optimizes photos for that type of use.

There are other apps like PhotoForge2 that will edit photos at their original resolution as well as allowing you to downsize the image if you desire.

iPhoto is fine for its intended purpose but I much prefer other apps when I need to control or keep file resolution.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Manatane

iPhoto for iOS is best used to edit photos and share those photos on social media sites like Facebook. It is known that iPhoto optimizes photos for that type of use.

There are other apps like PhotoForge2 that will edit photos at their original resolution as well as allowing you to downsize the image if you desire.

iPhoto is fine for its intended purpose but I much prefer other apps when I need to control or keep file resolution.

Jan 8, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Manatane

The "iPhoto Help" (http://help.apple.com/iphoto/ipad/1.1/#blnka97fbb1f) says something completely different:

Edit a photo

Use the editing tools to improve or add an effect to a photo. As you edit a photo, iPhoto saves your edits automatically (there is no Save button). iPhoto never changes the original photo, so you can go back to it at any time.

Have you tried to revert the changes to the original version? If you still have the edited version on your iPhone, duplicate it to keep the edited photo and revert the one you edited to the original. Then save the original to the Camera roll to share it.

Jan 8, 2013 3:54 PM in response to léonie

Yes but from what i understand, they speak about the effects, not the size.

So you get the reduced version from the photo stream and then editing is not destructive.

But you can never edit the full size picture from the stream which is indicated nowhere.

I think the only way to edit full size photo is to use the camera kit and not the photo stream which is kinda lame as for me it's the whole purpose of this feature.

Jan 8, 2013 3:59 PM in response to Manatane

But the problem rely in the photo stream. Because when you save the modifier picture in the camera roll, it's still shrinked. Even with photoforge2, you can't get the full resolution version from the photostream.

The Photo stream is documented here:

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

See the paragraph:

What resolution are My Photo Stream photos?

On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices. Panoramic photos can be up to 50 pixels wide.

So you can't get full resolution using Photo Stream to send photos to an IOS device, but from an IOS device to a computer the resolution stays the same.

It is editing in iPhoto that creates smaller versions, but the originals are not destroyed. You can send your originals back - full resolution - by sharing them to iTunes.

Jan 8, 2013 4:07 PM in response to léonie

Your right. But it's not the behaviour I expected because it basically means that iPhone and iPad can't work together with photo stream in an easy workflow.

Apple push to use photostream to easily sync photos, but it's not without unexpected drawbacks.

As I said, yes, you still have the original one 'in theory'. But usually people remove the original one once they used time to optimize it with effect, which was my case and the fact that iPhoto was using 'non destructive' modifications.

iPhoto + photostream is clearly not 'non destructive' and I think that very few people know it

Jan 8, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Manatane

Ok, i got the final word from dpreview, and iPhoto editing IS destructive whatever mode you use to import pictures.

"Image size restrictions also apply when exporting edited files. The maximum size image you can export after editing is 4096 pixels on the longest edge. Your original high-res images are still stored, and edited versions are simply saved as new files."

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1171169624/apple-iphoto-ios-app-review

iPhoto is pretry useless with those limitations.

Jan 8, 2013 4:35 PM in response to Manatane

If you say, that it is impossible to edit high resolution images and get a high resolution results with iPhoto on IOS, then I agree fully. iPhoto on IOS is simply not a full resolution editor. Only that is not meant by "non-destructive" editing. iPhoto never does destroy the original image file; it is kept, until you delete it yourself.

Ralph said in his first post, what iPhoto is meant for; if you feel, that that is useless for your purposes, o.k. I use my iPad and iPhoto, to show my photos, not to edit and tag them. For that I use a more professional tool, Aperture on a mac.

I frequently shoot raw photos, and iPhoto will never edit the raw, only edit the embedded jpeg, so there would be no hope to do the image editing for my photos in iPhoto on IOS.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 8, 2013 4:40 PM in response to léonie

Yes, but you should know that Apple in the WWDC video about iPhoto was about to name iPhoto for iPad 'Aperture' for iPad instead. Because they said it was 'so powerfull'. (You can check by yourself if you have a dev account).

It's def not that powerfull and definitively not a professional tool but rather - as you said - a light editor before sending pictures to facebook like services.

Jan 8, 2013 4:48 PM in response to Manatane

You are welcome!

It's def not that powerfull and definitively not a professional tool but rather - as you said - a light editor before sending pictures to facebook like services.

The iPhoto product is nice for what it can do - only the name is misleading - it is the same for all IOS versions of the iLife programs. Naming the iApps exactly like their counterpart on MacOS X raises expectations, that cannot (yet) be fulfilled on the handheld devices.

iPhoto is destructive when editing photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.