7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 8:05 AM by phosgraphis
Davidatthepoint Level 1 (0 points)

Despite having ticked 'do not import duplicates', Aperture imported over 500 duplicates from my Canon 7D.

Anyone have an idea why this happened? I take it I have no choice but to go through and remove these manually.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

The built-in dupe-sleuth is rather dim-witted.  All it checks is file name and the date-time stamp (iirc).  If you change either -- for instance, you rename files on import -- it assumes (not without reason) that the files are different (they are) and imports them.

I just shoot a separator frame each time I put a card in a camera.  (Point at a light source, hold up one hand with a finger extended, and take an out-of-focus shot.  Easy to pick out.  Every exposure preceeding the last separator frame has been already imported.)  Because I _always_ rename my files on import, I could not use Aperture's "Do not import duplicates" function.

Grouping (and then deleting) the most-recently imported dupes is easy.  Select the "Photos" container, and filter for the import sessions that are most recent.  You will have to add the Filter Rule "Import Session".

• Davidatthepoint Level 1 (0 points)

Thankyou, that was very helpful for deleting the duplications.

Even though I don't rename my files on import, I do use a script that puts them in a yyyy/mm/dd folder system (you'd think Aperture would be able to do that but no).

The duplicating hasn't happened before and I am going to take a fresh card with a small number of photos to see why it downloaded duplicates this time.

Thanks

• phosgraphis Level 2 (330 points)

... I do use a script that puts them in a yyyy/mm/dd folder system (you'd think Aperture would be able to do that but no).

A little OT, but just curious why you are using a script. Aperture is certainly capable of importing files into a yyyy/mm/dd folder structure, and others, by choosing the "Image Year/Month/Day" folder naming preset in the import settings. What is it about your scheme that Aperture can't handle? 

Here is the discussion I had when I first imported my files into Aperture.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20571119#20571119

I ended up using Frank's script but just changing some of the labeling.

It now imports from the camera as:

Folder <2013>

Folder<01>

Project<01-01>

Project<01-02>

etc

I still can't get this to accept a screen shot (maybe because of the retina screen???) to show you.

It's a very basic folder system which Aperture will apparently not do, hence Frank kindly writing the scrip.

Thanks...I get it now. You are referring to the library organization, not the organization of the physical folders/files.

I'm not sure I get what the difference is ..... do you mean if Aperture is using a referenced file system?

Exactly. Using a referenced approach, the actual location of the image files can be totally different from Aperture's library organization. Or they can be the same, or anything in between. When importing for a referenced organization Aperture provides a lot of flexibility to specify where the actual images should be stored. For a managed system, not so much--as you have discovered. The limitations in library organization apply in both cases, though.