Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Purchase Options

While I'm still happy with it, my Power Mac G4 tower is really showing its age, and I decided to get a used Mac Pro to replace it. (A new Mac Pro, in addition to be expensive, would not run Rosetta.)

I found a first-generation Mac Pro (the Mac Pro 1,1 model) for a very reasonable price at a local store.

I found a later-generation Mac Pro (either a Mac Pro 2,1 or 3,1 model) for $250 more than the first-generation machine.

So... in the esteemed opinions of the Mac Community, is a second- or third-generation Mac Pro worth $250 more than a first-generation model?

Also, is the processor in a Mac Pro upgradeable like it is with the Power Mac towers? If so, can it be replaced with standard PC parts, given that it's an Intel Mac?

And I heard the first-generation Mac Pro had compatibility problems with more modern graphics cards; is that true? If so, it might be a problem since I already know I'll be replacing the stock card.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:20 PM

5 replies

Jan 12, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Gerald Edgar

There is the "Pre-Mid-2012" and then there are the "latest" boards that came out last summer.

During 2011 and when systems stopped shipping with Snow Leopard, and hence, without the OEM DVD, it was a question and yes you don't have to use Lion (or Mountain Lion). But you may need 10.6.8 thumb drive, the retail DVD 10.6.3 won't work

OP is coming from G4 PowerMac world and would not have 10.6.8 or the discs.

So we know you can make it work but not sure how that helps.

The only processor upgrade that most do is $600 W3680 - if needed (likely you won't).

the issue with grahic card? some rumor or didn't understand? they need 10.6.5. And if you REALLY want to go all out on GTX 670 or something you need 10.8.2, which is excellent reason to stay with Mountain Lion.

Mac Pro Purchase Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.