Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app asks for outlook password upon launch, why?

I have a mac mini and mac pro, both with this same outlook account set up in mail preferences, but for some odd reason, my macbook will prompt me with "mail cannot connect to outlook.com" message after it is launched and request that I enter the correct password. The password is correct however, and it is the same password I use with the outlook web interace. I have tried deleteing the account then setting it up again, as well as clearing out the current password then entering in the correct one, but it still asks me for the password if I close mail then reopen. Sometimes when I launch, even though it is requesting the password, I will find new emails addresed to the outlook account in that specific inbox, but I can never refresh that mail box to have it fetch the most recent messages. I also have an icloud account, as well as gmail, and these show no problems.

Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 11:07 PM

7 replies

Feb 2, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Csound1

In my case, I set up the outlook account directly online via outlook.com - I guess microsoft's icloud/gmail.

Then I just added 'new account' to Apple Mail, for importing messages.

Details:

incoming: pop3.live.com

SSL: on

Outgoing: smtp.live.com

SSL: on

It just keeps asking my password, and then gives the 'cannot connect' message.

Feb 2, 2013 10:05 AM in response to aarnoud

Verify all the settings: (see below)

Incoming settings:

username: emailaddress @ outlook.com

password: your password

pop3 server: pop3.live.com

port: 995

security type: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Settings:

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com

Port: 587

Security Type: STARTTLS

Require Sign-in: YES

Username: same as username above

Password: same as above

Jul 3, 2013 7:57 AM in response to SamsaDX

I was having the same issue with Outlook + others that I wasn't aware of until I opened Connection Doctor.

To solve the issue follow the steps:

OS X Mail: Troubleshooting sending and receiving email messages -

http://bit.ly/13lxUEq

What worked for me was to:

1. In Mail, choose Window > Connection Doctor.

2. Double click any account with a 'red status light'.

3. You will arrive at your SMTP Server List, input your password for the selected server and click OK.

4. Connection Doctor will automatically refresh, hopefully with a 'green status light'.

Mail won't hastle you again for passwords!

I hope this helps somebody.

Sep 23, 2014 3:58 AM in response to Woollins

Came across this issue trying to add my outlook.com email adress to my mac mini.

It turns out that the problem is due to "Two step verification" set up on my MS account.

You need to create a new app password and substite that for your MS password when adding your email address.

More info on how to do this can be found here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/app-passwords-two-step-verification

Mail app asks for outlook password upon launch, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.