Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just got a new MBP and I want to sell my old one.

The email I got from Apple says they will give me $500 for my 3 year old MBP. I have a lock set but I do not remember how I did this or how to remove it, but when I want to make a change with the time, for example, I have to insert a mastercode. it is the same code when that brown/beige lock comes up. It only shows up at different times when I am trying to make a change. The company that will take my computer neds all locks removed. It does not show up when I want to make changes to System pref. Does anybody know how I turn that off because the company who will buy the old MBP needs this master pasword/lock turned off.

any suggestions on how to turn off the lock or set it so it does not show up anymore? I think I found it under System Pref.---Security---Uncheck "Require a password..." The locks are still there but so far the ones I have gone back to look at are unlocked.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:45 AM

This is just the standard user password for your account. If you've forgot it, there are various ways to reset it, depending on which version of OS X you're running.

If you want to sell your old machine, take a look at Thomas Reed's How to prepare your Mac for sale.

If you need help on resetting your password, post back with your OS X version.

Clinton

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2013 12:45 AM in response to NObodE

This is just the standard user password for your account. If you've forgot it, there are various ways to reset it, depending on which version of OS X you're running.

If you want to sell your old machine, take a look at Thomas Reed's How to prepare your Mac for sale.

If you need help on resetting your password, post back with your OS X version.

Clinton

Just got a new MBP and I want to sell my old one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.