Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from broken macbook pro.

My macbook pro decided not to show me anything other than a black screen yesterday morning.

I still hear it booting up, and I think I can still ( blindly ) enter my password. But can't be sure.

I then tried, with the help of a ethernet cable, to utilise the migration feature on my new macbook pro, which proved to be unsuccessful. It did not find my old Mac.

Question :

Is it possible to migrate blindly, or maybe, using an external housing, attach my old HD per USB and migrate that way ?

I do have a backup, but it is at least two months old and, as you can imagine, I would like to pick up exactly where I left off on my old Mac.

Thanks for the help

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 8 Gig. RAM

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:31 AM

Assuming that your hard disk is still functiomnal (and it sounds as though it is):

If you have a firewire cable, then you can get your Maxbook Pro into target disk mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661).

You can then attach it to your new MacBook Pro, and migrate away.

4 replies

Migrating from broken macbook pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.