Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air w/o DVD drive = No Digital Copy Downloads?!

I have a Mar/12 11" Macbook Air.

I recently decided that I would transfer all of my movies to digital and download the digital copies to my hard drive. Even though I have the proper (and unused) code, the instructions say I have to insert a disk first.

This is kind of a problem since MacBook Airs do not have a DVD/CD drive.

How am I supposed to download/unlock my purchsed movies from iTunes without a DVD drive? Suggestions? Or am I screwed? I really don't want to fork over $80 or so to get a DVD drive.

TIA

PS I would like to add that I have zero problems downloading movies straight from iTunes. I am only having problems with transfering the authorized digital copies that are included with the DVD/Blu-Ray purchase.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:29 AM

1 reply

Jan 9, 2013 7:10 AM in response to jovat

It depends on the method the movie distributor uses for the digital copy. If they provide just a code, you redeem that code in the iTunes Store and the movie will download. If the copy is on a disk in the package and you use the code just to validate, then you will need a DVD drive. If you have another computer with a DVD drive, Remote Disk may work, though I haven't tried it. Or you can redeem the copy on another computer and copy it to your MacBook Air. Otherwise you will need to purchase a DVD drive, either from Apple or another manufacturer.

Regards.

MacBook Air w/o DVD drive = No Digital Copy Downloads?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.