Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook taking long time to boot.

So, I went to turn on my mom's mac this morning, took an exceptionally long time to boot +20min. Turned off and went on another computer to see what was happening, and why this is taking so long. Ended up getting it to boot in Safe mode (Had nothing backed up, was worried about having to wipe the mac and loosing everything).

The mac showed the white screen with the Apple in the middle and a litlle arrow thing going around in circles.

So right now im using time machine to back up my mac, What do i do after so this doesn't take so long to boot/or so that it will boot. The mac is just under a year old, and i believe it still has an Apple warranty on it.. Should i take it to my local Apple store and let them fix it? Or is there something i can do from home. I'm not exceptionally great with computers but i'd say im better than your average joe.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:03 AM

8 replies

Jan 9, 2013 5:40 AM in response to hmwalters4

i think you have WAY too many things on your macbook.

the cheaper and short term solution is to reinstall the OS on your macbook COMPLETELY (everything gone and clean). but once you reinstall all sorts of stuff on your macbook expect it to slow down.

either that or.. your HDD is aging bad and is slowing down. time to change to another HDD with higher RPM rating or even money is not a concern, go get a SSD inside.

HDD startup would be about 2 mins. SSD would reach desktop within half a minute.

Jan 9, 2013 7:51 AM in response to hmwalters4

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time when you had the problem. Select the messages logged after the boot, during the time something abnormal was happening. Copy them (command-C) to the Clipboard. Paste (command-V) into a reply to this message.

For example, if the problem is a slow startup taking three minutes, post the messages timestamped within three minutes after the boot time, not before. Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the beginning of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post shutdownStall, spin, or hang logs — they're very long and not helpful.

Aug 24, 2015 6:32 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have just experienced the same problem of posted by the OP. My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) took 40 mins to boot. I followed you steps in order to find out what went wrong during booting and here is my screen shot around after the "BOOT_TIME":

User uploaded file

As can be seen, BOOT_TIME was 2:30 and the system began logging stuffs after more than 40 mins. So there was no log during the interval and I have no idea what I can do now.

Some context:

I am on OS X 10.9.5 (13F1112), and the reboot was a result of the latest security update. My mac had not been restarted for more than one month before the latest reboot. I had experienced similar issues 3-4 times before, especially after system update which required restart or long time without reboot, and those rebooting took around 15 mins roughly.

MacBook taking long time to boot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.