Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email duplication

At present I have my Macmail set up on both the iMac and the new MacBook Pro. Is there a way to prevent mail from appearing on the MacBook, while keeping intact all the email settings, in case they are needed? Settings are identical on both devices.

Server is Verizon.

Thank you, Apple experts.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:49 PM

Preferences > Accounts

Uncheck the box that says Enable this Account

The account information will remain in Mail but it will not use this account when checking for new mail.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Jan 9, 2013 8:57 PM in response to gaginker

So you don't want the mail to be downloaded on the Mac notebook? If so that is an odd request from the usual posts on any forum.

Usually people ask how can I get my mail on all my devices. Not how can I stop mail from being downloaded on X device.

The simple asnswer is Delete that account on that device you don't want the mail to downloaded to.

You'll need to make a text or word processing file of all the settings for that account, which is what you should do anyway so you can always refer to it if there are problems with any device.

The suggestion above may work but more then likely that will also delete that account, at least some of the setting for that account.

Jan 9, 2013 9:02 PM in response to Shootist007

My suggestion will work fine. I just tried it and it does not delete settings or mail. He stated he wants to keep the settings available on the machine and this will do it. It will also remove the mailbox until it is rechecked again. Yes, perhaps he should keep a text file of the settings (that is good practice) but unchecking this box will not permanently delete anything.

Email duplication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.