Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting 720x486 to 720x480 or broadcast.

I am having to convert my 720x486 (Lower field) to 720x480(lower field) for broadcast. I noticed when seeing my spots on tv that the fields looked wrong and motion was stuttery. I then took one of my exported files and put it back in FCP (creating sequence based on the clip) it looked stuttery. Could someone give me their step by step for how they do this conversion whether it is straight out of FCP or Compressor and give me specifically what settings you use and in what codec your final file is in.

Thanks a billion!

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 7:33 AM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2013 8:12 AM in response to JangoJason

Yes. Well, you can copy and paste your sequence into a DV sequence, render and export. Check things on your monitor (external monitor, not computer monitor...TV or broadcast monitor) to make sure they look right. If they look right to you, and you export a self contained DV QT file....and then it still looks bad when aired...the issue is on THEIR end, not yours.

Jan 9, 2013 10:37 AM in response to JangoJason

You need to CROP 4 pixels off the top and 2 off the bottom, or 2 off the top and 4 off the bottom to go from 720x486 to 720 by 480. If you crop 3 off the top and bottom, you'll reverse field order. Pretty sure compressor will do it automatically. Export from FCP using file: export: quicktime movie (not quicktime conversion) with current settings and bring that file into compressor and use the appropriate apple preset.

After you apply the preset, just check the geometry panel to make sure the cropping is as I described above.

Converting 720x486 to 720x480 or broadcast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.