Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlists not working?

I use smart playlists to organize the podcasts I download and then, obviously, download them to my iphone. Within in the past week or so I noticed when I do try to make a smart play list, by using the 'Date Added' selection, the playlist comes out empty. Any help would be appreciated

toshiba, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:28 AM

5 replies

Jan 10, 2013 3:32 AM in response to john in co

Okay, two things to consider.

1. That would create a list with both music and podcasts added to your library on that day only. Therefore, the list would not update after you initially created it, even though "live updating" is checked. (There would be nothing to update unless the date was in the future, and even then, it would only update once.)
  2. I assume that your computer always displays dates in the order you have used, and that if you display the Date Added field for your Podcasts, that they also show the date as month, day, year. (In some countries, the date is shown as day, month, year. So you just need to confirm (for yourself) that this is all correct. Also, if you re-check the Smart Playlist, iTunes should have changed it to read 01/09/2013. Note that zeros and the lack of spaces.

I suggest:

If you change the rules to Date Added is in the last 2 days, that would create a list that has Podcasts added in the last two days and it would update each day, removing older Podcasts and adding any new ones. To make the list contain only Podcasts, add an additional field, by clicking on the + button at the end of the first line and setting that rule as shown below:

User uploaded file

Note the highlight, which will change when you add an additional rule...

User uploaded file

This Playlist will add Podcasts only, that were added to your Library in the past two days. On each new day, Podcasts added three days ago will be removed from this list, even if you have not listened to them.

You can, of course, set it to added in the last 1 day, which means that each day the list would be updated and contain Podcasts added only in the last day. Therefore, on a day when no new Podcasts were added, the list would be empty. (You may wish to set your list as two or three days, rather than one. That way, you can miss a day every now and again, but still catch up on the slightly older Podcasts.)

Note, just for information, that in my screenshots, you can see dates in my Podcast list that are in day, month, year order. Thta's because here in the UK, that's the way we write dates.

Smart Playlists not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.