Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Tiger to Install Snow Leopard

What are the advantages and disadvantages of erasing the internal hard drive with Tiger

versus

Installing Snow Leopard on top of Tiger ?

The whole laptop has been copied to a WD 2TB external drive.

I'm tempted to use them separately because I can't afford to replace

some of the old software.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 11:43 AM

Erasing the disk, all the files you don't need will be deleted, so your computer could be faster. However, I recommend to upgrade first instead of erasing the disk. If you see after upgrading that the Mac is slow, make a clean install.

A lot of people do a clean install instead of an upgrade, but I have seen people that have upgraded since Tiger to Mountain Lion without any problem. Also, upgrading you will save time that you will spend if you make a clean install

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2013 11:43 AM in response to Barbararose

Erasing the disk, all the files you don't need will be deleted, so your computer could be faster. However, I recommend to upgrade first instead of erasing the disk. If you see after upgrading that the Mac is slow, make a clean install.

A lot of people do a clean install instead of an upgrade, but I have seen people that have upgraded since Tiger to Mountain Lion without any problem. Also, upgrading you will save time that you will spend if you make a clean install

Erase Tiger to Install Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.