Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCE frame rate problem?!

Hi, if someone could help me with this asap that would be so helpful?!

Basically I'm having a problem with the frame rate in Final Cut Express. I was using 3 different Sequences to edit different clips/audio in. I then wanted to put them all in to the same Sequence but when I did the clips were flashing different colours and wouldn't play properly. All of the clips were 30fps however the project frame rate was 29.97fps? How did the frame rate of the project change because I didn't know you could change it and how can I change it back?! Thansk :-)

Final Cut Express 4, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:42 AM

2 replies

Jan 10, 2013 7:17 AM in response to newcottcalypso

29.97fps is the actual frame rate for NTSC (North American) video. It has historically been called "30fps" for convenience sake. However in recent years true 30fps capability has appeared even in some consumer camcorders. This can result in some subtle problems if you mix real 30fps material in a standard 29.97fps sequence. The "change" you refer to could occur if your clips were recorded at a real 30fps and you put them in a 29.97fps sequence. FCE will try to conform the clips to the sequence settings.

For completeness, here is what FCE supports:

SD video at the following frame rates. FCE imports DV video as QuickTime/Apple DV during capture from your camcorder

• DV-NTSC @ 29.97 fps
  • DV-PAL @ 25 fps

HD video at the following frame rates. FCE transcodes all HD video (HDV and AVCHD) to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec during capture from your camcorder.

• 720p25,
  • 720p30
  • 1080i50
  • 1080i60

FCE frame rate problem?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.