Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a damaged retina display replaced

I woke up two days ago and opened up my MB Pro with retina display that I got in august. I powered it up and immediately thoguht **** there was what looked like a puncture throught the glass and into the display. I turned the brightness down and saw that there was no damage to the glass, or the aluminum backing of the display. My screen is now virtually useless and apple won't replace it even though it's a hardware malfunction, had I done something to actually damage the compute I would understand but this is ust something that occured. I'm a broke college student and can't afford the $1300 they quoted me to fix it. Has anyone had experience with this problem before?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:01 PM

I'm a bit confused. You said you saw what looked like a puncture through the glass, but there's no damage to the glass or aluminum. But the screen is useless. Would it be possible to post a picture of the damage? Also, please describe how the damage occured?

Apple presumes that broken displays and the like are the result of user neglect, so your claim of computer malfunction must seem reasonable and be well-documented.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2013 2:01 PM in response to MGS114

I'm a bit confused. You said you saw what looked like a puncture through the glass, but there's no damage to the glass or aluminum. But the screen is useless. Would it be possible to post a picture of the damage? Also, please describe how the damage occured?

Apple presumes that broken displays and the like are the result of user neglect, so your claim of computer malfunction must seem reasonable and be well-documented.

Jan 10, 2013 10:46 AM in response to MGS114

apple won't replace it even though it's a hardware malfunction,

What reason did apple give you?

Your only other option is to call Apple Customer Relations (800) 767-2775. Wait for a human to come on the line and ask politely and firmly that you want to be transferred over to the Customer Relations department. Explain your situation to them politely.

Leave out the poor college student part. They are all poor unless they are trust fund babies! 😝

User uploaded file

Apr 1, 2013 11:42 PM in response to MGS114

The exact same thing happened to me as well. I have two cases on my MBP and I am meticulous about keeping it in perfect repair. I noticed a small spot in the middle of the display right where the screen touches the trackpad. It looked almost like it had been poked with the tip of a pen. I thought it was a dead pixel issue, but they said it was damage. I find it a bit odd that the exact same thing happened with you. I feel like that is too much of a coincidence.

Aug 5, 2014 1:20 AM in response to seanlove

Guys, the exact same thing happened to me. I am adding photographs. My screen does not have any physical damage, but once I switch it on, the display is a mess. I have apple care, but they are refusing to replace it. I have been very careful with the machine and there is no physical damage to it. The guy at the istore where I went for apple care said that I must have done "something wrong". I am student and I cannot afford to pay for replacement. I find this quite insane. There seems to be a problem with apple screens. Earlier, I had an imac which needed screen replacement twice under apple care. But, this time, they are refusing to fix it!!!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Apr 22, 2015 2:54 PM in response to fathima

Got what looks like the same issue.
I've two dead pixels, despite having barely used my refurbed retina, 15-inch, Early 2013 MBP.

The issue seems to be caused by a lowering of the build quality on these laptops to ensure they met the (then) new target weight and thin profile demanded by Apple dev management.

The old MBP was a flagship robust workhorse of a machine.
I had one (provided by my employer) which I worked very hard and abused carelessly for 5 years.
It's good performance prompted me to get a MBP of my own.
I saved hard for two years to afford one and treated it much better- barely using it and being very careful.

When I reported my problem to Apple I was informed by a, refreshingly honest, member of staff that even a grain of sand on the keyboard when the laptop is closed could cause these punctures, due to the less robust screen surface.

I've used Apple machines since they were beige boxes and I've never been more annoyed by the company's approach to Customer Support and Service.

They messed up, in design, again.

My warrantee runs out in two days and I'm going to have to take a day off work, losing a day's holiday, just to get even a chance of getting this sorted.
Not. Happy.

Apr 25, 2015 10:40 AM in response to tomb

So, got my screen replaced.

Initially: I took the MBP to my local store and was told it was my fault for treating the laptop like a laptop, ie- not keeping it in a tupperware box and brushing it down before closing the lid 🙂
They say it's caused by grains of sugar, salt, sand, grit, stale pastry crumbs etc on the keyboard.

Such micro-debris, forced by with the leverage effect of closing the lid, punctures the screen, would you believe it? (no, neither did I).
It therefore constitutes damage inflicted by the user.

Next: Took it to the Apple store in the big city hereabouts (aka Brighton) and they said "OK, see your point. We can't upgrade you to a less fragile model but we'll replace this screen, this time, free of charge."

On collection a precocious young gent with a fashionable beard told me a few things of interest:

a) If Apple really thought it was user damage they wouldn't have replaced it for free.

b) The response you'll get from different stores varies.

c) "Screen Protectors" are not advised or even sold by Apple as they don't think these screens are liable to puncture from without.

d) I really should treat my ÂŁ1600 laptop with kid gloves.
IMHO for that price I shouldn't have to worry about crumbs, etc as the build quality should be rock solid.

e) Internet material on this issue, including these forums, is seen to be a place of wild unreliable rumours and drama.

f) I should probably sell my laptop and buy a more recent build MBP, where they overcame the issue.
This would leave me several hundred pounds poorer but at least it would rid me of this worry that it will just happen again, when I'm not covered by warrantee or statutory UK rights.

I think the pixel explosion and crumb issues are really part of the same flaw. The pressure of micro-debris, coupled with insufficient space between the mac and screen surface when closed, will cause pressure points leading to burn-through.

Look at it under a microscope, like I did.

The only real flaw is that design and build quality on this release of MBP failed to integrate correctly.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your exploding pixels, and getting your screens replaced.

Maybe you should print this thread out and take it in to the shop with you?

Getting a damaged retina display replaced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.