Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i use google chrome to open icloud in my windows computer?

i dont like using internet explorer so I'd like to change the icloud in my computer to google chrome, is that possible?

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:16 PM

11 replies

Jan 15, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

So how does one "force" iCloud to use Chrome/Safari?

Attempting to use Win8. (long time Mac user, but need to get some Windows users to use Photo Stream).

Installed iCloud. It creates shortcuts to the Startup screen. Made Chrome the default browser. But whenever I click on the shortcuts to Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Find My iPhone: IE opens to iCloud.com. I want Chrome to open to iCloud.com!

Safari is not installed.

Any tips/help is appreciated!

Oct 4, 2013 10:53 AM in response to ataracena92

@snozdop - That's a brilliant idea... except for the part where you are typing.

The point here is to be able to use the shortcuts provided by Appple to quickly open the mail, notes, etc. in Chrome, or basically anything that is not Internet Explorer, becasue, let's face it, Internet Explorer ***** more than Apple's inability to respond to us on this forum. If I cannot control the app that it opens by default, there is no purpose to these addons and I can just uninstall the control panel.

Apple, are you there or are we just wasting our time by waiting for you to respond?

Hello?

Oct 5, 2013 1:22 PM in response to ataracena92

Wow, it's laughable how rude people can be on these things. Chill out!

I don't quite understand why if I am "using iCloud as intended, there is no need to visit the iCloud.com website when using your own computer". Really?? If I want to write myself a reminder or add a meeting to my calendar while on my computer, I need to click on the remnder or calendar app in order to do so. When I click on these apps, it opens them up via iCloud.com. I then proceed to write my reminder or my meeting which will then sync to all my other devices. So, I kind of do need to visit iCloud.com while on my computer. I'm so not intending for this to sound like I am throwing Snozdop under the bus with this comment...perhaps I am missing something?

I am brand new to Win8, so I am by no means an expert. I too don't like IE because I've been using Chrome for a while now and it's what I'm used to. I googled to try and find a solution to this problem that many people seem to be having. Here's what I found out:

Open Google Chrome and make sure you do so in Win8 mode. If you are in desktop mode, go to the icon in the top right corner on your screen (the icon with the three horizontal lines on top of each other) and click on Relaunch Chrome in Win8 mode. Once you are in Win8 mode, type iCloud.com. Once you are logged in, go to that same icon at the top right corner of the screen, go to Bookmarks, and then you can pin iCloud.com in Google Chrome to your Start Screen. So, you will still have all those apps (iCloud, Reminders, Calendar, etc) on your Start Screen, but if you click on this new one, it will take you to iCloud.com using Google Chrome.

Longwinded explantion, but it's so simple to do. People who have been using Win8 for a while now, know how to do this. You do this for anything online that you often use that you want easy access to right on your Start Screen. Hope this helps!

Feb 15, 2015 1:46 AM in response to ataracena92

In case anyone is still finding a solution, here is one:

right click on the iCloud apps, properties and change the target to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.icloud.com/#contacts

or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.icloud.com/#photos

and etc etc

This will tell the iCloud apps .exe programs to instead launch Chrome and go to the specific iCloud app page.

If you want to use Firefox as your default browser, then change the path to the Firefox.exe.

can i use google chrome to open icloud in my windows computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.