Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to configure RAM?

I just bought the new 3.4GHz Quad Core Intel iMac i7. I ordered it with 16GB of RAM, but Apple messed up and sent me only 1 8GB stick. Apple wouldn't send out the other stick - and wanted me to return the whole system and order a new, correctly configured one. However, because of the shipping backlog, I could be without a computer for over a month, so this solution wasn't acceptable to me.

The only other solution offered by Apple was to have me order a new 8GB RAM kit, which is 2 sticks of 4GB each. That means to get to 16GB, I'll now have 3 sticks, two 4GB dual, and one 8GB. I have a few questions:

1- Is there a way to place these into the slots? For example, the 2 4GB in the top slots and the 8GB in the bottom, with the 4th slot empty?

2- Will this new configuration provide sub-optimal performance? If so, to what level? Will I just lose 1-2% of what I would've had with 2 8GB cards? Or will it be material, like 10%+?

I was considering just getting a full refund and buying aftermarket RAM, but the Apple CS people said that would void my warranty. I certainly didn't want that.

Thanks!

Shane

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:09 PM

13 replies

Jan 9, 2013 1:15 PM in response to sperry8

1. Your computer has got 4 slots to place memory, so that is not a problem.

2. You should not notice a decrease on the performance compared to 2x8 GB of memory. However, I recommend you to install the new memory horizontally so you will get Dual Channel and its performance will be better. If Apple wants that you buy the memory in the Apple Online Store, I recommend you to purchase it in OWC or Crucial with a cheaper cost and compatible with your iMac > http://www.macsales.com

Jan 9, 2013 1:26 PM in response to sperry8

I assume you are talking about a 27in iMac as the new 21in models don't have user upgradeable RAM.

If that is the case then if this statement was really given to you

was considering just getting a full refund and buying aftermarket RAM, but the Apple CS people said that would void my warranty. I certainly didn't want thatThanks!

it is absolutely false. It is perfectly permissible for a user to upgrade the RAM in any Mac that has end user access to the RAM.

If this was truly said to you you should contact Apple and let them know about it.

You can purchase and upgrade the RAM yourself.

regards

Jan 9, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks Frank. So are you suggesting that I don't buy two 4GB from them? And instead buy RAM aftermarket? If so, are you suggesting it so I can save money, or because 2 8GB RAM cards are better than the 2 4GB and 1 8GB configuration?

I ask because they gave me 50% off their memory for the inconvenience. So, although the 8GB of memory is still expensive going via Apple, it's half of what it usually is. But if I also gain performance buy having 2 dual slot 8GB cards, perhaps that's the way to go.

Thoughts?

Jan 9, 2013 5:27 PM in response to sperry8

Under normal circumstances getting the memory from a 3rd party is always cheaper then getting it from Apple but in your case you'll need to do some price shopping.

I find OWC both competitive price wise and also very good and making sure you get the right memory for your system. I don;t know what 50% off Apples 8gb will be but you can easily compare that price to what you would pay at OWC.

Of course you have options if you go 3rd party. You could just buy 1 8gb stick instead of 2x4gb. Doing that will depend on both what you are willing to pay and what long term plans you have for the system. If you think you might add more memory in the future then just adding one 8gb stick now will leave you with two empty slots for future expansion. If you go with 2x4gb now you'll have 16gb but only have on empty slot.

So I guess what I am trying to say is there is no right or best way to go here. You need to decide based both on price and configuration what will be best for you.

regards

Jan 11, 2013 3:42 PM in response to sperry8

I ended up buying the Corsair Vengeance 16GB. I placed these two cards in the "top" slots (the ones closest to the monitor). I then placed the orignal 1 8GB Apple RAM into the bottom slot (the one closest to the base). That leaves me with 24GB and the 3rd slot open. Is this the correct configuration for optimal performance? Or do I want to install the modules in a different configuration?

Jan 11, 2013 4:09 PM in response to sperry8

Ideally, the RAM should match horizontally, i.e. this screenshot:

User uploaded file

So you now have three 8 GB modules? There was a problem with 2010 models which would not boot if there was one empty slot (cannot remember if it related to the top or bottom slots); however, since you do not seem to have a problem, it should be fine (as long as your Mac specs say that it can support more than 16 GB/up to 32 GB?)

FWIW, the way Apple calls the top and bottom slots is counter-intuitive: if you are facing the RAM slots (monitor down), then the 2 x 2 GB (in screenshot) are the original RAM, show correctly as being in the top slots here and when you are looking at them, but, according to Apple, are in the bottom slots (since they are not closest to the monitor).

Jan 11, 2013 4:30 PM in response to babowa

Yes, I have 3 8GB cards. And yes, it boots up no matter which slots I install them in. Still, I assume their is an optimal configuration to install them.

To install the RAM horizontally as you describe I had to place the two matching RAM cards in slots 2 & 4.

User uploaded file

Then after installing the 3rd RAM card, I placed it in the very top (1st) slot. And then it appears as such:

User uploaded file

I am unable to figure out what Apple (or you) mean when you describe top or bottom. To me, when I am sitting looking at the iMac at my desk, the top would be the highest slot and bottom would be the lowest. 1st slot would be top/highest (again, when looking at the computer) and bottom would be 4th slot.

So, to get the install above, I am using slots 1 (original Apple Hynix RAM card), and my two aftermarket Corsair Vengeance cards in slots 2 & 4. Do you believe this is optimal?

Finally, notice the difference in speed when I include the Hynix card from Apple. When just the 2 cards are installed, it states it can accept 1600 MHz. But when I add the 3rd card, it drops down to only accepting 1333 MHz. Why does this happen?

Jan 11, 2013 5:44 PM in response to sperry8

I found the brand new instructions for the new iMacs here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5540

Here are the instructions for earlier iMacs:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3918?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#

Now, I've not seen a 2012 iMac's memory configuration, so I do not know if my remarks are still valid or not. On the previous models, Apple called the slots nearest the display the "top" which, when it is lying screen down and you are looking at all of them, I would call the "bottom" slots.

I'm also not sure if this still applies to the brand new iMacs: Macs have always performed better when memory was installed in matching pairs; and, if you read the instructions, there is mention of using 4 x 4 GB or 4 x 8 GB - populating each slot, or, as default from factory, having 2 slots installed - in other words, always in pairs, rather than only having 1 pair and 1 extra module. So, not knowing the cause of your speed issue with 2 vs. 3 modules, I would guess it may have something to do with that. I'd think it would be fine with 3 modules, but it may be that Apple designed it to work best with either 2 or 4 slots populated. That is assuming that you purchased the correct RAM and they all match.

Feb 27, 2014 9:28 PM in response to Danielobix

If you have a recent model Mac, the entire RAM arrangement is a bit confusing because:

on the Mac, they are actually now arranged vertically; however....

if you look at the About my Mac memory display, it still shows them in two rows of two each.

So, the preferred arrangement was that the two upper slots match as well as the two lower slots - installing them in pairs. Now, it would be (from the top) the first and third slots match and the second and fourth.

If you look at my previous post, there was an Apple article that detailed problems if only one bottom slots was occupied. I do not know if there is any problem about one slot not being occupied in the new Macs. And, as you can see, Apple installs RAM in the two top slots (or, now, slot 1 and 3):

Additional notes i5 and i7 Quad Core iMac computers come with both top memory slots populated. These computers will not start up if only a single DIMM is installed in any bottom slot; these computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any top slot. Core Duo iMac computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any slot, top or bottom. ("Top" and "bottom" slots refer to the orientation of the slots in the pictures below. "Top" refers to the slots closest to the display; "bottom" refers to the slots closest to the stand).

And, here was their recommendation:

For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot.

Now, I cannot say with 100% certainty that this still applies, but people in general still recommend it.

Best way to configure RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.