5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 12:48 PM by BDAqua
Nicholas Cody Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Brother's support said the issue must be with the computer - I've entered all the wireless info into my Brother multifunction machine but it keeps saying to Check Connection. Anyone have any ideas? I had it running wirelessly but learned the hard way that if you turn the Brother off, you have to re-enter all the wireless info. This time when I did it, it still wouldn't work. It will print with a USB but won't scan with it. Does this sound like a Brother issue or a Mac issue?

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (120,940 points)

Hi Nicholas,

Can you get the Brother to print out it's IP, then check the Mac's Wifi IP to see if the 1st 3 numbers are the Same?

• Nicholas Cody Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The numbers are the same if I look in Network on the Mac and compare it to the number printed by the Brother. Any ideas? Think the computer is defective? The drive has already stopped working even though I've only had the computer a couple of years or so.

Mac OS X: About the Reset Printing System feature ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1341?viewlocale=en_US

10.5/10.6/10.7 instructions...

In System Preferences>Fax & Print, Right click or Control+click on the Printers list Sidebar, choose Reset Printing System.

if you hold option and click the "-" tab it resets the printing system.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031215144430486

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions.

Any devices that previously appeared in your Printer List and Fax List will need to be added again after resetting the printing system.

Resetting the printing system in Mac OS X 10.5.x+++

1.    To use the Reset Printing System feature in Mac OS X 10.5.x, follow these steps:

2.    Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

3.    Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.

4.    Control-click on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu. If you don't see a list of printers, Control-click on the text "Click + to add a printer or fax" and select "Reset printing system..." 

As an alternative, if you currently have one or more printers listed, you can Option-click the "-" (Remove printer) button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1341

Reboot.

• Nicholas Cody Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately I'm still getting Scanning Failed. Does that tell you anything though about if the problem is likely with the computer or the Brother? Thanks for any feedback.

Sorry, I have no clues as to which is at fault.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.