Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme MD031LL/A intermittent freeze / lockup

Not sure how to obtain debug information from the box. Airport Extreme 5th gen MD031LL/A loses wired and wireless connectivity, activity lights remain solid green. No change to power supply or WAN uplink. Issue occured on originally shipped firmware 7.5.2 and device was upgraded to 7.6.1 in a failed attempt to fix the connectivity problems. Issue can be reproduced on both 7.5.2 and 7.6.1 although the activity light is orange when the bug is hit on 7.5.2. Seeing the issue several times per week. Workaround is to hard reset the device.

Looking for similar cases that have resolutions or a way to turn on debug logging.

Regards,

Matt

Airport Extreme 5th Gen MD031LL/A-OTHER

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 2:43 PM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2013 5:38 AM in response to dimash1

I am having the same issue with both AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express units connected together in a roaming network. I have 10 devices on the network and every week or so I lose 3 or 4 of them to the freezing effect where the green light is solid but there is no network connection to the device. I check AirPort Utility when people begin to complain about not being connected and will see which devices have frozen and then a power-cycle is needed to fix it. Everything has the latest firmware 7.6.3 and many of the units were purchased a couple of weeks ago so they are all in working order. I am using a high-quality Cisco Router and Netgear switches for the overall network topology and all AirPorts are connected as bridged access points with fixed IP addresses via CAT5 cable.

I found a number of articles dating back to 2006 about this happening!! I can't believe that it hasn't been resolved in some way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 12, 2013 9:05 PM in response to dimash1

Hey, just wanted to give you guys an update. I seem to resolve the problem by shutting my network down completely, only allowing in one device at a time. In my case, a network printer's IP was not getting updated in DHCP table and the router would hand the same IP number to another device. I can not explain the symptoms - makes no sense with all green lights, etc... However, I was able to replicate the issue several times, before finally taking the printer off network. Not a hiccup since...

Jul 5, 2015 1:17 PM in response to dimash1

I've had this problem for a couple months now, and took a stab in the dark after I noticed a pop-up about using an IP address that was already in use. This reminded me of the corrupted LAN cache problems, for which the solution was to shut down every Apple device at the same time. We did that and the AirPort Express Base Station has been fine for over forty hours (when it had been locking up at least once a day, sometimes thrice).

Tentative conclusion: Something in the shared cache gets corrupted, and as long as any device still has it, it will continue to propagate to any (Apple) machine that joins the network. Sometimes this corrupted data causes previously recognized machines to be forced to use new names (MyMac (2)), and sometimes the router keeps its light on but actually goes away to contemplate its navel.

Short answer: Shutdown (not sleep!) all entities at once, then turn them on again.

airport extreme MD031LL/A intermittent freeze / lockup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.