Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail running slow

For the last few weeks, everything about Apple Mail has been running extremely slowly. Clicking on an email message results in a long wait before the message appears. Even opening the Mail application seems to take a long time. None of my other applications are experiencing this problem. Any suggestions on how to get it running normally again would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:31 PM

4 replies

Jan 9, 2013 6:22 PM in response to milominderbinder

Please follow these instructions to delete the Mail "sandbox" folder.

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard (command-C):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail

Quit Mail.

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste (command-V) into the box that opens, then press return. A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.mail" selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Desktop. Leave the Finder window open for now.

Relaunch Mail and test. If the problem is resolved, you'll have to recreate some of your Mail settings. You can then delete the folder you moved and close the Finder window. If you still have the problem, quit Mail again and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Post your results.

Caution: If you change any of the contents of the sandbox, but leave the folder itself in place, Mail may crash or not launch at all. Deleting the whole sandbox will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Feb 4, 2013 8:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

OK this seems to be working for me in the first 15 minutes--- but slowdown occured after 30 to 120 minutes for me, so I'll see in a few hours.

I noticed that:

1. My nice photos from Contacts are now gone
  2. My MailTags is completely gone (likely I can reinstall that but may have to reinstall the OLD com.apple.mail folder, do a proper UNinstall of MailTags, then reinstall it, not sure…

A few minor other points like tools --

PERHAPS the photos and MailTags was slowing down my Mail? But why after 6 months or even much longer? Could I have (or should I) "rebuild my mailboxes"-- will that help?

Thanks for any comments-- I like the speed (if it stays) but really would like my nice MailTags and Photos back if possible.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte

Monday 4 February 2013

Apple Mail running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.