9 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2013 6:18 PM by JaRomey
retr0tunes Level 1 Level 1

Difficult to make incremental movements in long lists.  Actual physical arrow keys on keyboard do not function.  More of a theoretical question on the difficulty of designing an OS, and whether something like scroll bar arrow buttons can't be included...

Reply by macjack on Jan 9, 2013 7:36 PM Helpful

Understood, I feel the same way. I think you'll find many others who are with you but the more who file the more likely it will get done. I don't develop but since it was there before I believe it would not be difficult to implement.

Reply by Lanny on Jan 9, 2013 9:41 PM Helpful

You don't find two finger scrolling on your trackpad superior to using arrows on a scroll bar?

All replies

• macjack Level 9 Level 9

You're not talking to Apple here, just other users like yourself.

File feedback here.

• retr0tunes Level 1 Level 1

Asking users with knowledge of OS development...or anyone with an opinion :)

Thanks, MacJ! Yeah I've tried that, no response yet haha

• macjack Level 9 Level 9

Understood, I feel the same way. I think you'll find many others who are with you but the more who file the more likely it will get done. I don't develop but since it was there before I believe it would not be difficult to implement.

• Lanny Level 5 Level 5
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

You don't find two finger scrolling on your trackpad superior to using arrows on a scroll bar?

While suitable, it still "feels" limiting for single line movements or multiple lines just holding the clicker...something I'm trying to get over haha... I guess my point is that something so useful is no longer available, and more curious than anything, because it is seemingly such a small piece of code in the overall OS, not sure

• Lukas Level 3 Level 3

There is a workaround, but it requires 3rd party software:

Download a utility capable of executing a scroll wheel simulation macro, triggered by a keyboard shortcut.

I'm using Keyboard Maestro which is an incredibly powerful tool in its own right.

I've created four global macros, each one simulating Scroll Wheel Up/Down/Left/Right.

The scrolling value can be set as low as 1 pixel per keystroke. (I'm fine with 5…)

Each macro gets a global keyboard shortcut:

⌃⇧⌘↑

⌃⇧⌘↓

⌃⇧⌘←

⌃⇧⌘→

(These modifiers are optional, but over the years I've developed the habit to use ⌃⇧⌘ strictly for global shortcuts active in all applications. This habit avoids possible conflicts with internal application shortcuts, because this modifier combination is rather uncommon.)

To get contiunous scrolling while holding the keys down, make sure the hot key trigger setting is "is down", not the default "is pressed".

Also note that the pointer must be over the affected window – same as if you'd be using a real scroll wheel – for the shortcuts to work.

It works in all application windows which support scroll wheel input, including text forms like this one I'm posting this reply.

Hope that helps

• JaRomey Level 1 Level 1

It may seem like a small issue, but I have been trying to deal with this for weeks and the arrows are much easier.  Maybe I am just a little to twitchy, but whenever I try to do it the way you suggested I end up at the top or bottom of the document.  I am an attorney and some documents are 30+ pages.  It gets very annoying when you edit a sentence and simply want to move down a few sentences and you end up down a few pages.