Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a possibility of re-introducing arrow buttons in scroll bar space, where they used to be? Would this be difficult to include in a future update?

Difficult to make incremental movements in long lists. Actual physical arrow keys on keyboard do not function. More of a theoretical question on the difficulty of designing an OS, and whether something like scroll bar arrow buttons can't be included...

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:26 PM

9 replies

Jan 9, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Lanny

While suitable, it still "feels" limiting for single line movements or multiple lines just holding the clicker...something I'm trying to get over haha... I guess my point is that something so useful is no longer available, and more curious than anything, because it is seemingly such a small piece of code in the overall OS, not sure

Apr 28, 2013 6:55 AM in response to retr0tunes

There is a workaround, but it requires 3rd party software:

Download a utility capable of executing a scroll wheel simulation macro, triggered by a keyboard shortcut.

I'm using Keyboard Maestro which is an incredibly powerful tool in its own right.

I've created four global macros, each one simulating Scroll Wheel Up/Down/Left/Right.

The scrolling value can be set as low as 1 pixel ⚠ per keystroke. (I'm fine with 5…)

Each macro gets a global keyboard shortcut:

⌃⇧⌘↑

⌃⇧⌘↓

⌃⇧⌘←

⌃⇧⌘→

(These modifiers are optional, but over the years I've developed the habit to use ⌃⇧⌘ strictly for global shortcuts active in all applications. This habit avoids possible conflicts with internal application shortcuts, because this modifier combination is rather uncommon.)

To get contiunous scrolling while holding the keys down, make sure the hot key trigger setting is "is down", not the default "is pressed".

Also note that the pointer must be over the affected window – same as if you'd be using a real scroll wheel – for the shortcuts to work.

It works in all application windows which support scroll wheel input, including text forms like this one I'm posting this reply.

Hope that helps

May 25, 2013 6:18 PM in response to retr0tunes

It may seem like a small issue, but I have been trying to deal with this for weeks and the arrows are much easier. Maybe I am just a little to twitchy, but whenever I try to do it the way you suggested I end up at the top or bottom of the document. I am an attorney and some documents are 30+ pages. It gets very annoying when you edit a sentence and simply want to move down a few sentences and you end up down a few pages.

Is there a possibility of re-introducing arrow buttons in scroll bar space, where they used to be? Would this be difficult to include in a future update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.