Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer songs from my iPad to my iTunes library?

How can I transfer songs from my iPad to my iTunes account? I want to update my iPads but I don't want to lose all the songs that aren't in my iTunes account yet.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:57 PM

Connect the iPad to your computer's iTunes and you should be able to copy iTunes purchases off the iPad to your computer via File > Transfer Purchases (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases on iTunes 11). If any of the music wasn't purchased from iTunes and you don't have it on your computer nor on a backup then you will need to find a third-party program which copy them over - there are some listed half-way down this page.

You may also want to copy photosand any important documents off the iPad as well e.g. via the file sharingsection at the bottom of the device's apps tab when connected to iTunes, via wifi, email, dropbox etc - they should be included in the backup, but it's best to havea copy of them outside of the backup just in case. You can then force a backup of the iPad by right-clicking the iPad 'Device' on the left-hand side of iTunes and selecting 'Backup'.

You can then start the update by selecting the iPad on the left-hand side of iTunes, and on the Summary tab on the right-hand side clicking the Check For Updates button

Updating to iOS 5+ : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4972

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2013 10:57 PM in response to Brottn22

Connect the iPad to your computer's iTunes and you should be able to copy iTunes purchases off the iPad to your computer via File > Transfer Purchases (File > Devices > Transfer Purchases on iTunes 11). If any of the music wasn't purchased from iTunes and you don't have it on your computer nor on a backup then you will need to find a third-party program which copy them over - there are some listed half-way down this page.

You may also want to copy photosand any important documents off the iPad as well e.g. via the file sharingsection at the bottom of the device's apps tab when connected to iTunes, via wifi, email, dropbox etc - they should be included in the backup, but it's best to havea copy of them outside of the backup just in case. You can then force a backup of the iPad by right-clicking the iPad 'Device' on the left-hand side of iTunes and selecting 'Backup'.

You can then start the update by selecting the iPad on the left-hand side of iTunes, and on the Summary tab on the right-hand side clicking the Check For Updates button

Updating to iOS 5+ : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4972

Jan 11, 2014 3:53 PM in response to King_Penguin

Hiya,

I have a siimilar problem.

I have an iphoen 5 with songson it..not purchased from itunes but live under a "My Itunes" folder

When I open itunes I can see then in the "on this iphone" butg they will not sync onto my Ipad Air...

Any help appreciated.

I have triend under All Artists to say "Send to Ipad" but it doesnt!!

I am perplexed.

Hope to hear soon

Best Regards

Jeremt

Jan 11, 2014 11:20 PM in response to jemscott

They are in the Music app on your phone ? iTunes will only copy iTunes downloads from your phone to your computer's iTunes library. If you don't stillhave copies of them on your computer nor on your backup of your iTunes library then there are some programs listed half-way down this page which should be able to copy them back from your phone : https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991

Jan 12, 2014 3:14 AM in response to jemscott

You can only sync music to the Music app on your phone from your computer via your computer's iTunes : connect the phone to your computer, select it on the left-hand sidebar of your computer's iTunes (if the sidebar doesn't show the control-S on a PC should get it to do so) and use the Music tab on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen to select which of your music that you want on your phone.

If you don't have those songs in your computer's iTunes library then File > Add To Library should add them.

Jan 12, 2014 12:45 PM in response to King_Penguin

Not sure I am explaining myself properly.

On the Pc I have a folder Called C:\Users\Music\My iTunes\Music that has all the items. Those tracks are also on the iPhone

If I open up iTunes as you suggested and click on the Music Library I can see all the tracks.

If you hover over the album it coem sup with 3 icons, play shuffle and arrow in a circle.If you clieck that it says copy to iPad....I can seelct that but it doesnt copy them to the iPad.

Quesiton is how do you get the musice in My iTunes on the Pc to the Ipad, they are alrways ont he iPhone.

Help is much appreciated.

Jan 13, 2014 12:29 AM in response to jemscott

To sync music from your computer to your iPad you use iTunes (is that where you are seeing the 3 icons, or are you in the folder in the window explorer ?) as per my above post - whether it's already on your phone doesn't really matter, you can only sync music from your computer's iTunes library to a device.

Connect the iPad and select it on the left-hand sidebar of your computer's iTunes (control-S enables the sidebar if it's not showing) :

User uploaded file

Then on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen select the Music tab ;

User uploaded file

And use that to select which of the music in your computer's iTunes library to have on your iPad and then click the Apply button bottom right of the screen

Feb 27, 2015 4:55 AM in response to King_Penguin

King_Penguin, you seem to know your stuff.

my issues are a little different.

i have a laptop and all my music is on their, it is also on my iTunes account on their.

i have just bought an iMac with the view to getting rid of the laptop but when i log into the same iTunes account from the mac the tunes are not there and when i try to sync using my iPad (which also has the tunes on) it wants to delete them from the iPad

any ideas please

Feb 27, 2015 6:00 AM in response to stevefromsmethwick

Your library won't show in your Mac's iTunes library unless you copy it over to it. You should be able to copy your library from your laptop to your Mac e.g. via an external drive : How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

Or if both computers are connected to the same wifi network then you can copy it over via home sharing : iTunes: Setting up Home Sharing on your computer - Apple Support

For syncing your iPad to your Mac instead of the laptop then there are some instructions on this page : Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

That page was written specifically for iPhones, but it applies to iPads as well. The page refers to a previous version of iTunes so some of the steps are now slightly different :

- 5, File > Devices > Transfer Purchases (but if you've copied everything over from your laptop that probably won't do anything)

- 6, select the iPad device in iTunes and at the bottom of its Summary tab click 'Reset Warnings'

- 7, File > Devices > Back Up

- 8, File > Devices > Restore from Backup (or click on Restore Backup on the Summary tab)

Mar 22, 2015 11:42 PM in response to Brottn22

That't easy. The music you purchased from iTunes store on iPad can be transferred to iTunes on computer.

To transfer purchased music from your iPad to a computer:

Connect your iPad to the computer. Then it will appear in iTunes.

Go to File > Devices and choose Transfer Purchases from [device name].

But if those songs in your iPad are imported from CD, you can't use iTunes to transfer music to iTunes. But you can save them on computer use other tools.

How do I transfer songs from my iPad to my iTunes library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.