Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the "up next" function in iTunes v11?

The "up next" function is stuck on a Beach Boys song, no matter what I am playing, and "clearing" the list doesn't work - the Beach Boys come right back! No matter what song or album I play, the next song is always this one particular Beach Boys song and "up next" has populated its list with every song in my library starting with that Beach Boys song. I never put anything into "up next" (at least of which I was aware) and I can't imagine wanting to use "up next". I just want to be able to play individual songs, albums and playlists - nothing fancy. Please help - any suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:25 PM

10 replies

Apr 13, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

I have the same issue as kinma. Sure, I can make a song play by clicking play, but I want to be able to walk away from my computer and have it just play the next song in the music list. Instead it keeps auto-populating the up next list and playing what it wants. It's like it's possessed. And if i clear the up next list then it doesn't play the next song at all. Just stops. I hate up next. Apple needs to fix it or let me disable it. Absolutely disgusted, Apple.

Jun 22, 2013 11:47 AM in response to cathyjamieson

Anthing been done about this yet?

Luckily they haven't added this jem to the iphone yet which is where I spend the majority of my time listening to music. I create a specific play list because I want to hear those particular songs in the order I laided them out in. But just recently my wife wanted to hear one of her play lists from our computer to work out to, and she screamed at me because it randomly picked songs that wern't in her playlist or in the order she was expecting.

I'm not taking the heat for this one Apple. I already spent the time making these play lists. I don't want to have to recreate them every time I want to hear them.

I am not trying to make this into a ***** session (I know...too late, right?). I am a huge apple evangelist and love that they try to simplify everything. Which is why this one puzzled me. Oh... and I filled out one of those feedback forms as well. I recommend everyone to do that. I don't know if they follow all these support chains but I do know they live on customer feedback. The more complaints about this one, the more likely they are to do something.

Mar 1, 2014 11:44 PM in response to kinma

Better yet, remove it altogether. It does not obviate the playlist function, and violates the first rule of interface design. That is, keep it consistent. Having a little arrow next to the title that only appears when you mouse over it is like Windoze's constantly-changing menus. If I wanted to use a Windoze program, I would use Windoze. The ability to customise what I see in the Artist view is what I want, Apple, not a lot of gimmicks and ******** that get in the way. Especially not a lot of ******** that creates a list for me without my knowledge. Computers will never be smart enough to figure out exactly what I would like to hear next, and you have proven it, Apple.

Apr 11, 2014 2:27 PM in response to kinma

I don't think there is a way to disable Up Next, but I have a workaround that seems to work for me. I use a very handy little app called Quicksilver (http://qsapp.com/) that I use to start playing songs using just the keyboard (you can also do this with Spotlight by hitting Cmd+Space). Before iTunes 11, the song would play and then the next song played would be the next song in the album. Now, the song plays, but the next song up is from the different album that I was listening to previously.

To get around that, and have the next song be the next song in the album, I start playing the song with the keyboard as normal (via Quicksilver or Spotlight, whichever), then I quickly hit Cmd+L to "Go To" the song in iTunes, and then hit Enter. From there, the songs will play in the desired order (ie, the next song played will be the next song in the album).

I hope that makes sense/helps!

How do I disable the "up next" function in iTunes v11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.