Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance drop problem.

I have my MacBook Pro on my desk. Late 2011 version. Has HD FaceTime Camera, Thunderbolt etc. And one of my awards (light wood material) fell and hit the bottom right space of the trackpad. No dents, no scratches nothing. However, I did get a message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button". So I did that. It restarted fine but found some issues specifically with iTunes. My music now lags when playing and I get the spinning rainbow wheel alot in iTunes. My videos in iPhoto seem fine. But iTunes is just acting up now. Sometimes safari will give me the spinning rainbow more also. Did the award frame hit like the hard drive somewhere that's causing this? And I'm huge on iTunes. I buy my music and everything. If anybody could help, that'll be great. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Late 2011, 4 GB1333MHz DDR3, 2.3 i5

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:37 AM

It does seem that the 'crash' may have caused some sort of hardware damage. You could try booting into your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting) and use Disk Utility to verify and, if necessary, repair your hard drive. If your hard drive appears to be OK, then you could try running theApple Hardware Test and see if you have any errors.

If all else fails, I would just take the machine to your local Apple Store or an AASP and have them run their more sophisticated diagnostics on the machine. Could be a simple fix - who knows?

Good luck,

Clinton

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2013 1:37 AM in response to Mac OS X Nate

It does seem that the 'crash' may have caused some sort of hardware damage. You could try booting into your Recovery partition (holding down the Command and R keys whilst booting) and use Disk Utility to verify and, if necessary, repair your hard drive. If your hard drive appears to be OK, then you could try running theApple Hardware Test and see if you have any errors.

If all else fails, I would just take the machine to your local Apple Store or an AASP and have them run their more sophisticated diagnostics on the machine. Could be a simple fix - who knows?

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 19, 2013 2:53 PM in response to Mac OS X Nate

Thank you! Ran the APH test (extended one, too) and got no errors. iTunes seems to be working fine again. Also, like 2 or 3 days later, my iTunes restarted as if brand new. Then again I have iCloud so I'm not worried about losing content. But after iTunes restarted itself, it restored songs I first dragged into it from Home Sharing when I first got this MacBook. I did lose my home made movies. Luckily, all my tunes and movies are in the original Music and Movies folders in Finder. Also discovered a new serious problem, when I'm working on Pages, it takes literally like 2 minutes to save it after hitting command S. AND it takes 2 minutes also to bring up the Print Screen after hitting Command 2. Does this on Pages and on Word. Any suggestions anybody?

PS I do backup with Time Capsule on the daily.

MacBook Pro: 13-inch Early 2011

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Macintosh HD 187.92 GB free out of 319.21 GB.

Before the crash, it worked fine. Worked fast and everything.

Message was edited by: Mac OS X Nate

Performance drop problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.